PDA

View Full Version : Klepper to join Drake & Pierce at Chili Bowl

klepper
12-20-2010, 10:51 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE DECEMBER 20, 2010

KLEPPER TO JOIN DRAKE AND PIERCE AT THIS YEARS LUCAS OIL CHILI BOWL NATIONALS!

At a press conference held earlier today Scooter Ellis Incorporated announced the addition of Clay Klepper to an already stout field of drivers for the upcoming Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Nationals. Klepper will join 2001 Chili Bowl Winner and USAC Champion Jay Drake along with former USAC standout Aaron Pierce.

Klepper last competed at the Chili Bowl in 2005 with a far from exciting effort. He said "I look forward to getting back behind the wheel… it's been far too long." Klepper who retired from professional Midget and Sprint Car racing in 2002 went on to say… "The last time I was in a competitive car at the Chili Bowl was the Hartman #17 and I was leading on the preliminary night when my now teammate Jay Drake took me out with 4 laps to go… now is my chance to get him back. If he gets near me I'll put him in the wall."

Drake who competed in last years Race of Champions finishing 3rd but came up short on making the Championship A Main was at a loss for words after hearing Klepper's comments. "I don't know what to say. Clay and I have been friends for a long time and I remember racing with him in USAC and in New Zealand. I didn't think I did anything wrong at the time because you know… rubbing is racing. If he thinks I did it deliberate then he is probably right. I think Scooter adding him to the team wasn't a good choice at all. If this kid thinks he can take me out… he's got another thing coming. He couldn't catch me before and I highly doubt he will be able to catch me now. I do remember after that incident in 2001 I won the A Main on Saturday night… so I dare him to try something. I was also told his brother Rob will be there. He wanted to go fisticuffs in 2001 and I guess he will finally get his chance…. he knows where I'll be. I mean really… it's the Chili Bowl people… you do what you have to do and worry about fighting later."

Car Owner Scooter Ellis responded to both Klepper and Drake's comments by saying "I thought Jay was at a loss for words?"

The third member of the team, Muncie, IN driver Aaron Pierce whom is the only driver in USAC history to have a feature race win taken away due to an on-track incident spoke during the press conference that Drake & Klepper should be worried about him by saying "Those boys need to worry bout me." He went on to say "It appears to me that Scooter's intent with this lineup of drivers was to create the over 35 club which gives me the upper hand as I've been running some local Go-Kart Races in the over 35 class… I have this handled."

Car Owner Ellis responded to Pierce's comment by saying "That makes sense."

Visit the SEI pits at the 2011 Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Nationals January 11th – 15th in Tulsa, OK and get an autograph from Jay, Aaron, and/or Clay. T-Shirts may be available or they may not while supplies last. Scooter Ellis bobble heads are on back order.

------------------------------------------