PDA

View Full Version : Front metric spindle bearing question

bmodracer
12-20-2010, 05:06 PM
I have a spindle that takes the larger outer bearing but my rotor I want to use is for the smaller size outer bearing. Does someone make a bearing and race so I can use what I have?

Thanks!!!!!

dirt2
12-21-2010, 09:35 AM
bmodracer
check in your phone book for local bearing
dist. & if you have one take both bearings
to the guy & he might can fix you up.
Use to do this quite a bit.
dirt2

dirty white boy
12-21-2010, 03:18 PM
bmodracer
check in your phone book for local bearing
dist. & if you have one take both bearings
to the guy & he might can fix you up.
Use to do this quite a bit.
dirt2

a good NAPA store can do this too

bushracing67
12-22-2010, 04:52 PM
spindles from 79-88 were all the same, there are two different rotors, both rotors take the same inner bearing and seal, the two different outer bearings are the same dimension where they go on the spindle, one is just much larger OD, if you are going to use up a small bearing rotor put it on the LF and buy a big bearing rotor for the RF, there were some odd ball spindles the first year 1978 i believe they took a different inner bearing and you would need 1978 rotors to use them (or maybe a conversion bearing)

bushracing67
12-23-2010, 08:55 AM
might wanna double check that jeff, i am 99% sure that 78 was the odd year and 79-88 was the same... i know i have used spindles from 79 and 81 and they were the same as all the newer ones, just looked on speedway and the rotor they sell is 79-88, the years you gave were 78-81, that is the years of the smaller bearing camaro spindle ?

i also know for sure from personal experience that there are 2 rotors that have the same inner and two different outers, and they both fit the same years of spindle, the only difference is the outer bearing od and race
(and rotor)

bushracing67
12-23-2010, 08:58 PM
i agree there are two sizes, 1978 and everything else, as far as camaro the early had larger bearings and the later years switched to smaller, i believe the same was true on the metric outer bearing, the smaller bearing was on 84 or 85+ and the earlier rotors took the larger outer bearing

wasnt really trying to use speedway as a reference, i just googled what i had already thought to be true thru my personal bearing chasing experiences and that came right up corroborating exactly what i remembered.... highly doubt that its a total coincidence