PDA

View Full Version : 4 bar LR z link RR ???

dirttrackrocker
12-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Whats the advantage over 4 bar 4 bar??

1Blacksheep
12-24-2010, 05:37 PM
RR does not steer on Z.

Bcollins82
12-24-2010, 06:12 PM
I feel that there is no advantage except possibly on a rough and hammerdown track where you can put a little angle in the RR bars and it will drive off the RR harder when rolled over because a z-link doesn't lose drive angle when rolling over hard on the RR. In my experience a 4-4 even though it usually has more static drive angle and roll steer tends to be tighter on throttle while rolling the center better than the z-link. And the 4bar on the RR tends to have more sidebite than the z-link in most situations.

dsm_speeder
12-27-2010, 03:24 PM
RR does not steer on Z.

No offense but this is a false statement. I would say that it does not steer as much but it still steers. I can get a good 1.25 steer out of RR on the Z. It is not hard geometry its all in the bar angle.

Now back to the real question. If you ever want to drive a latemodel in the future, do not try 4 bar LR- Z-link RR. A GOOD latemodel team will never run this and it is a huge change to get use to. I recommend if you like the feel of Z-Link RR, run 4 bar limit drive angle and limit dynamic rear steer. If you feel like you need more rear steer set it static.

dirttrackrocker
12-27-2010, 05:24 PM
I can go either way, the car was set up this way when I got it, and I've seen a lot of guys running this, just wondered why they wouldn't just run 4 bar 4 bar.

1Blacksheep
12-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Keep it simple for those that are learning. The statement is in fact true. If the fore and aft bars are the same length and level static it promotes 0 steer (from the right rear)which is the big plus with z link over 4-bar right in the dynamic maxed extention state of the left rear. Which answers the original question (again). If you want to talk thrust angle the z link is much more forgiving, when the angles are altered even,In the dynamic state it stays within a consistant small degree range of thrust. There is nothing you can do with 4-bar right to give it 0 steer thru out its full range of motion to match the Z-link !!! There is a little more to it but thats it simplified. The most impressive latemodel I seen this year was z right for the money that team has (rollin some dice). You think the Bloom is on 4-bar right ? :cool:

dsm_speeder
12-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Keep it simple for those that are learning. The statement is in fact true. If the fore and aft bars are the same length and level static it promotes 0 steer (from the right rear)which is the big plus with z link over 4-bar right in the dynamic maxed extention state of the left rear. Which answers the original question (again). If you want to talk thrust angle the z link is much more forgiving, when the angles are altered even,In the dynamic state it stays within a consistant small degree range of thrust. There is nothing you can do with 4-bar right to give it 0 steer thru out its full range of motion to match the Z-link !!! There is a little more to it but thats it simplified. The most impressive latemodel I seen this year was z right for the money that team has (rollin some dice). You think the Bloom is on 4-bar right ? :cool:

Im not disagreeing with your statements I was just saying that you can make the RR steer on the Z. As a person that has worked for several Traveling dirt latemodel teams YOU WILL VERY RARELY SEE THIS at the top levels. Again Im not saying there are not some that run 4-Z but the majority (90% or better) are 4-4. I like the 4-Z but I can get the same exact results out of 4-4. And by the way you most certainly can get 0 steer out of 4-4 through its range of motion (during racing conditions). If you let it hang all the way then no but in normal range of motion you can get 0 steer from 4-4

LFMotorsports
12-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Rocker....

As a point of information, the 4-z set-up (I was told) is more forgiving if you are learning a car. I ran 4-4 last year with a new (to me) car and it seemed real easy to adjust yourself into an ill-handling car. And on rough tracks (as mentioned) there is a lot of movement that can make a car more difficult to drive (bar angles changing alot). I am going to start the year on a 4-z set-up primarily to simplify things. Understanding what to adjust to get a specific result is the most important.

good luck.