PDA

View Full Version : Rods & Main bearing ?

SRT17
12-25-2010, 02:56 PM
I am building my first V-8 (355). It is for an B-Hobby class. I am using an eagle crank with stock rods. What brand of bearings will work best with my motor. Thanks

fast_crew
12-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Clevitte "H" series. Have the crank checked and measured for size and roundness. Have your rods checked and measured, to determine the size of bearings needed, for proper clearance.

SRT17
12-25-2010, 10:30 PM
What about the Clevite P's or Sealed Power high performance? Are they any good ? Thanks

usafracer
12-26-2010, 01:58 PM
King bearings is all I use any more.

stock car driver
12-26-2010, 03:38 PM
If its a cast crank stay away from H brgs, they are too hard and will wear out the crank instead of getting wear on the brgs. Way over kill for most of us street stock type racers.

I use Clevite P brgs even on my steel crank motors.

I have used a lot of king also, they are a little lighter and a few bucks cheaper.

My machinist wants me to buy clevite from now on instead of king I dont remember why, though, its been 3 years since I built a new motor.

kgip2k
12-26-2010, 03:53 PM
I use King Bearings. Would be interested in knowing why your machinist says not to

SRT17
12-26-2010, 05:57 PM
I have seen the King bearings on ebay, and they are alot cheaper price wise. It is a cast crank #103503480. It is the only crank we can use that is not stock. I found one with bearings for $189 new, just didn't know about the bearings that came with it. Clevite P's.

stock car driver
12-26-2010, 09:35 PM
P is the brg you want in my opinion.

Ill ask him why he wanted me to quit buying the kings this week and get back to you. I honestly dont remember why.

I think they might be a little harder than the p brgs also? or maybe its the fact that they are only made up of 2 materials?

It seems like when we freshened 2 of my motors a few months ago he said something about the clevite had a softer outer layer that would catch the dirt rather than let it keep moving around on the brg surface? Im pretty sure thats why he wants me to skip the kings. I would think the kings come in a p,c, h type also though?

I havent payed much attention to this stuff in a while, Ive been building the same stuff and its been working great since I found a good machinist.

fast_crew
12-27-2010, 08:06 AM
In your case with a cast crank with out the larger radius fillets, and the fact thats its a low hp hobby stock motor use the "P" clevitte. The King bearings are aluminum faced and dirt, debris etc, doesn't imbed very well, sticking up alittle scarring the crank. There race bearings maybe better at this but, I have seen some overlay issues, spider web appearance, flaking, have seen this with ACL's aswell..

SRT17
12-28-2010, 12:06 PM
If I go with the King Bearings, What series should I get? Thanks...

fast_crew
12-28-2010, 01:09 PM
I would get the crank that comes with the P clevittes, or buy them. As mentioned the Kings are aluminum faced (like OEMS) and don't allow dirt or debris to imbed itself.

stock car driver
12-28-2010, 02:57 PM
I use King Bearings. Would be interested in knowing why your machinist says not to

I talked to him today. As I thought it was because they dont let the dirt or debris get sucked into the brg, it moves around and causes more damage.

Ill stick with clevite p brgs from now on and thats what he put in the two motors we just freshened a few months ago he said.

SRT17
12-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Ordered me some Clevite P's today.....Thanks for all the input... I will have more questions later...LOL