PDA

View Full Version : 4 bar toe

circle dirt
12-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Anyone ever mess with toe in or toe out on a 4 bar setup?

circle dirt
12-28-2010, 04:49 PM
111 views and no responce to the question. I was just wondering if you run the bars toe out at the front ,would the RR trail ahead when the rear end shifts to the left. I know it wouldn't be much ,but when looking at the model setup I have ,I noticed this

racin6mod
12-28-2010, 05:34 PM
I have my bars set at 2-3 degrees toe'd in at the front but some run them straight.on my swingarm car they are straight zero toe.

Nick Tucker Motorsports
12-28-2010, 07:12 PM
1/2in. Toed in on rr and straight on lr. Or 1/2in. toed in on both sides. I run are's 1/2in. Toed in on both sides.

Dirtrunner35
01-01-2011, 06:30 PM
If you axle housing is straight, how do you get toed in on both sides?

Nick Tucker Motorsports
01-02-2011, 07:21 AM
U want the links to run at an inward angle from the birdcage to the chassis at ride height. To achieve this u need to slid your birdcages over towards the hub till u get the inward angle ( toed in ) that u want.

Dirtrunner35
01-02-2011, 06:48 PM
ok, sorry I thought you was talking about the axle. You was talking about the bars.

CsR41
01-03-2011, 12:04 AM
U want the links to run at an inward angle from the birdcage to the chassis at ride height. To achieve this u need to slid your birdcages over towards the hub till u get the inward angle ( toed in ) that u want.

Can you tell us why?

LKissinger8
01-03-2011, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't get real crazy with moving the birdcages a bunch.. you can end up getting your spring angles way out of whack and can cause an ill handling car.. also toe in on the bars seems to make it more stable down the straights and not as darty

circle dirt
01-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all the input. Was just wondering. When I run the model through the motion it looks like ( when running the RR out ) it seems to let the RR move ahead a bit when the LR runs up on the bars so instantly the bulb came on.

Nick Tucker Motorsports
01-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Can you tell us why?

Ok let's see if I can explain this in words rather then showing you. On corner entry sidebite is applied causing the rearend to slid to the left, if your links are straight the rr is moving forward just like the lr, if your rr links are toe'd in the rr will move back causing rear steer, if the lr links are straight the lr will get shorter, so if the lr links are toe'd in it will get even shorter causing more rear steer. So by doing this your car will turn sooner on corner entry allowing you to pick the throttle up sooner.

Nick Tucker Motorsports
01-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't get real crazy with moving the birdcages a bunch.. you can end up getting your spring angles way out of whack and can cause an ill handling car.. also toe in on the bars seems to make it more stable down the straights and not as darty

Moving the birdcages 1/2in ain't going to mess with angle that much. More angle in rr spring means more sidebite anyways. If your scared to move the cages over a 1/2in then move them a 1/4in and buy a bigger spacer for the heim on the cage. Its not as darty down the straights cause the rr links are driving striaght instead of outwards.

missile07
01-04-2011, 08:28 AM
By this are you saying that all 4 links are pointed towards the driveshaft(center of car)?

Nick Tucker Motorsports
01-04-2011, 12:51 PM
By this are you saying that all 4 links are pointed towards the driveshaft(center of car)?

Yes they are.

texas racer
01-04-2011, 09:21 PM
I have never heard of toe in or out on the R/R I would call it R/R trailing or R/R leading. We always run R/R back 1/4 inch on heavy and forward 1/4 inch when it dries out. That is with bird cage on 0 degree R/R 1 degree indexed on L/R

BigBlueFord
01-05-2011, 07:23 AM
I have never heard of toe in or out on the R/R I would call it R/R trailing or R/R leading. We always run R/R back 1/4 inch on heavy and forward 1/4 inch when it dries out. That is with bird cage on 0 degree R/R 1 degree indexed on L/R

They're not talking about lead or trail of the RR. They're talking about the angle of the four bars from the birdcages to the chassis mounts and whether or not they point straight ahead, or angle slightly in or out as viewed from the rear of the car.

Darkstar15
01-05-2011, 07:45 AM
We use both toe and trail on our Shaw. Does help side bite A back issue of Dirt Modified has some info about this in it.

John

BigBlueFord
01-05-2011, 10:00 AM
We use both toe and trail on our Shaw. Does help side bite A back issue of Dirt Modified has some info about this in it.

John

I agree we use both on our car as well. Both are important adjustment to making the car work good.

texas racer
01-05-2011, 11:27 AM
All the 4 bar cars I ever had the bars on the right side are inboard about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and the left side are center with the 4 bar brackets. When it gets up on the bars and with roll steer the rear end moves left. You do not want to get your heims in a bind by moving your bars side to side on the chassis.