PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using a hand clutch??

dirttrackrocker
12-28-2010, 10:19 AM
How hard is it to get it to bleed out with such a small master cylinder?

cvra
12-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Not to be an ahole but why do you want to use a hand clutch. I used one in someones vintage east coast modified when I drove for them, what a pain. As far as how hard to bleed I wouldn't think it's any harder to bleed then the hand operated bump valve I use with my powerglide, and its a breeze. Just make sure the master cylinder is higher than the slave cylinder and it will almost bleed itself.

dirttrackrocker
12-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Never used a Bert before and afraid of instinctively going for the clutch pedal if I spin out. Lots of guys using them. Asked about bleeding, because its a go kart master cylinder that holds very little fluid, seems like it might be tough to bleed.

cvra
12-28-2010, 09:19 PM
No prob that's all we use in our powerglide setup for the bump valve, have never had a prob. Like I said in previous post if master cylinder is higher than the clutch cylinder it will bleed itself if you just barely crack the bleeder and keep your eye on the master cylinder level. Keep a close eye on it cuz it will empty fast since it has very little volume.

dirttrackrocker
12-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Cool.. Thanks

racin6mod
12-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Never used a Bert before and afraid of instinctively going for the clutch pedal if I spin out. Lots of guys using them. Asked about bleeding, because its a go kart master cylinder that holds very little fluid, seems like it might be tough to bleed.

some latemodel guy's are switching the locations of the brake and clutch pedals.this helps eliminate the problem of pushing the pedal during a spin.

charcoal01
12-29-2010, 12:10 AM
i had never run a brinn before and had only run 3 and 4 speeds. i can honestly say that i've never had the quick desire to mash on the clutch pedal. but thats just me.

something else i will recommend is to make sure you can reach the starter button while you're fully strapped in and the steering wheel is on. you have to be able to push the starter button while pushing forward on the shift lever. i found that i couldnt reach the starter button with my left hand while pushing forward on the lever with my right and and my left hand couldnt push forward hard enough to get the direct drive disengaged.

dirttrackrocker
12-29-2010, 07:24 AM
Not following you.. Why would you have to push the shift lever and the starter button at the same time??? Lots of my friends have late models and their starter button is on the right side and there is no way to reach it and the shifter at the same time....

charcoal01
12-29-2010, 09:00 AM
because when you spin the car, most guys aren't quick enough to reach down and pop the shift lever out of gear before it comes to a complete stop, so the tranny locks into high gear. the only way to get it out is the press forward on the shift lever the same time you are bumping the starter to get the car to move a little bit.

dirttrackrocker
12-29-2010, 09:34 AM
O.K.... Got ya now.. Didn't realize you were talking about after a spin....

Another newbie question. If I need push started, do I put it in high gear???

outlawracing17
12-29-2010, 03:18 PM
we have a brinn and have never had this issue when we ran bert trannys they would stick a little but all ya had to do his hit the shifter with the palm of your hand and it would pop out of gear grant you would have to hit it pretty good lol or just have a track worker rock the car as you hit the shifter out of gear our starters cost to much to do what you are saying sure it works but to hard on the starter jmo

charcoal01
12-29-2010, 09:07 PM
in my experience it doesnt take more than one or two quick bumps, doubt its going to damage the starter. or just dont spin out! haha

TALON75
12-30-2010, 04:29 AM
Even if you did press the clutch in a spin I don't think you would do any damage . Without the shift lever engaging low gear(or reverse) the counter shaft won't be turning or have any torque applied to it, when you are in high gear your are directly coupled to the input and output shaft thats what makes them more efficient by not turning the extra gear shaft .

dirttrackrocker
12-30-2010, 07:09 AM
O.K. Thanks guys

dsm_speeder
12-30-2010, 07:38 AM
In a bert, brinn, falcon, etc. it will not hurt to hit the clutch pedal in high/direct. The lower shaft(1st and rev)turns constantly as it is turned by a gear on the input shaft. If you push the clutch in high gear you would have the same result as if you hit it in neutral. The shift forks are in the same relative spot as if it were in neutral.