PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum pump on wet sump Circle track engine

WheelchairWarrior
12-28-2010, 08:27 PM
I have been doing some reading lately on the use of the Moroso 4 vane vacuum pump on Pro Street drag engines. Some of these guys are claiming increases up to 50 HP by using these pumps to eliminate the atmosphere on the bottom side of the pistons. As well as the ability to use low friction rings. I was wondering, can a person use one of these pumps on a Wet sump late model engine? Pull the vacuum from the left valve cover, or even tap a port in the intake, in front of the distributor. I was wondering if it would be possible to run this pump of the Bert where a dry sump would run. Maybe you engine guys could answer this for me. Is it possible? Is it worth it? would it be destructive if you kept the vacuum below 15"? What is the harm Vs. the benefit?

fast_crew
12-29-2010, 07:30 AM
The most benefit is when using thin, low drag rings, gas ports etc. 10-12" is about all you would want to pull, to keep from having valve guide and wrist pin issues, without any modifications. Any more over that is a very minimal gain anyhow.

usafracer
12-30-2010, 02:45 PM
I run a pan vac system on my mod and I see less moisture in the motor as well as less blow by after 30 nights or hard racing. I have never had it on the dyno so I cant claim HP numbers.