PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock mount location

Wrencherer
12-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of shock placement on a leaf spring car? Is it better to have both shocks behind, ahead, or stagered of the rear axle? If stagered, which side goes in front and which goes behind and why? Should you mount to lower spring plate or to axle? Should you mount the shocks straight up and down or on a slight angle and why?

RCJ
12-30-2010, 09:06 PM
I've won a lot of races with the shocks in the stock location on a camaro.When the shocks are close to the tire they will feel stiffer as you move them farther from the tire the leverage ratio changes and they feel softer.If you like a car with a more stable feel out by the tire is best,move in board for more body movement.They are staggered to reduce wheel hop, r/s in front,l/s behind.

Wrencherer
12-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Ok that make sense now what about angling them in towards the center? That should help with body movement over the rear axle. But how much tilt is best? 15 or20 degrees or something else?

RCJ
12-30-2010, 09:54 PM
I think the first 10 degrees helps after that the leveage ratio starts making the shock feel softer.There is a chart that show that check Afco web site.