PDA

View Full Version : Cost of running open wheel modified?

Fewski
12-30-2010, 02:50 AM
Ran Legend cars on asphalt for a little bit and dirt karts a few years before that. Got out of racing due to college and now looking to get back into it again after a few months of selling the legend car (this bug just won't go away..)

Looking into running a dirt modified, but would like to get a feel for the cost. Could anyone give some rough figures for stuff like tires, fuel, weekly maintenance, ect.?

Will be racing in Florida if that helps (Ocala, Volusia)

Thanks

ryan15x
12-30-2010, 02:43 PM
It will all depend on how you want to do it. A good used car can be picked up off here or racingjunk for anywhere between $5,000-$7,000 as a roller. You can find them cheaper for sure, but I am of the school of thought that you will waste your time if you try to learn how to drive one of these cars in sub-par equipment.

A motor will again be based upon how much you want to spend. I would say you should probably budget another $6,000-$7,000 dollars for a solid used motor. As mentioned, you could go cheaper or more expensive depending on the rules. Around here we run pretty much open rules, so there are some motors that have 10,000+ in them.

We run American Racer KK-704 tires; they run roughly $100 apiece. I get pretty good longevity out of mine...you can grind them a few nights then rotate the rears to the front and buy 2 new rears. We have super slick tracks around here, so you can burn them up super fast if not careful. Fuel will be roughly $300 for a 55 gallon drum of racing fuel, and roughly $150 for alcohol. You can probably find both cheaper; those are just good figures. You can figure on burning 15 gallons of alky in one night, giving you close to one month of usage from a drum. Gas will burn roughly twice as slow...it almost equals out.

Maintenance is more of a time cost than a money cost IMO. I spend quite a bit if time (close to 15 hours per week) working on my car...and I am located over an hour away from mine. If I lived closer I could easily spend more time. Preventative maintenance is a big thing (i.e greasing, lubing, checking for wear, etc). You can save yourself quite a bit of time and money by keeping an active checklist and being proactive.

It is a lot of information, but hopefully gives you some figures to play around with. If you are looking for a car I have a few different chassis I could part with...PM me if you want more information!

Ryan
www.humphreyracing.com

dirttrackrocker
12-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Depends on if your planning on running IMCA or open. IMCA is designed to help keep costs under control, Tires will last a lot longer and motors are cheaper.

HEAVY DUTY
12-30-2010, 06:10 PM
To run a competitive UMP modified, you are going to spend 400 to 500 a race night depending on how far you travel and how many tires you need. Some people think they can spend less until they do it. motor freshen, oil & filter 175 to 200 a night. Tire 60 a night if you only use 1 new every two nights,Most people will use more depending on how abrasive their tracks are. Race fuel 10 gal 60 to 85 dollars. Truck fuel 35 night locally.Pit passes 2 people 50 to 60 a night.That isnt counting wear and tear, repair, tear offs, trailer supplies ( Rear end lube, oil, brake fluid,WD 40, Hand Cleaner, Rags, Windex)and a bunch other things that you will need.

stock car driver
12-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Depends on if your planning on running IMCA or open. IMCA is designed to help keep costs under control, Tires will last a lot longer and motors are cheaper.

Fast cars in Iowa have 12-14k motors in IMCA. They are all building 454s now for the chip rule...

They all buy 2-4 new tires a night. There are many that run 4 stickers a night.

A new chassis roller is 16k buy used and youll get used quality tech support most likely.

Most of the front runners who race 2-3 nights a week went thru 2-4 chassis last year, when you get turned into the wall they are junk they are all flexed up on the bars and cant run into much and be used successfully still.

I wouldnt buy used theres a reason the front runners get new cars EVERY year.

I know a guy that bought a car that won 26 features in one season for 30k turnkey and it handled great the first day was crashed lightly that day and NEVER handled again. Its been on the builders jig and set up by the builder but NEVER worked the same as the first night out when they bought it. Hes looking at going back to street stock now.

Hastingsracing35
12-31-2010, 08:32 AM
My best cars have been tweeked race cars. They never handled till the first "big one"

circle dirt
12-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Fast cars in Iowa have 12-14k motors in IMCA. They are all building 454s now for the chip rule...

They all buy 2-4 new tires a night. There are many that run 4 stickers a night.

A new chassis roller is 16k buy used and youll get used quality tech support most likely.

Most of the front runners who race 2-3 nights a week went thru 2-4 chassis last year, when you get turned into the wall they are junk they are all flexed up on the bars and cant run into much and be used successfully still.

I wouldnt buy used theres a reason the front runners get new cars EVERY year.

I know a guy that bought a car that won 26 features in one season for 30k turnkey and it handled great the first day was crashed lightly that day and NEVER handled again. Its been on the builders jig and set up by the builder but NEVER worked the same as the first night out when they bought it. Hes looking at going back to street stock now.

Not sure where you came up with these figures,but WOW. We have raced Mods for a few years now ,mainly open motor stuff. This year we switched one car to IMCA and raced 8 nights,won 2 features,finished top 5, 6 times and 2dnf's. New tire on RR every 4 nights and with a car that was 4 years old.Oh , and the engine ?? $ 3500.00

I currently have our UMP / Open show car for sale complete with a fresh engine and over 3k in spare parts for sale for $ 13,500.00. Car is a 2008 with 30 total nights with 11 feature wins and 21 heat wins.
www.coxracing.zoomshare.com

stock car driver
12-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Not sure where you came up with these figures,but WOW. We have raced Mods for a few years now ,mainly open motor stuff. This year we switched one car to IMCA and raced 8 nights,won 2 features,finished top 5, 6 times and 2dnf's. New tire on RR every 4 nights and with a car that was 4 years old.Oh , and the engine ?? $ 3500.00

I currently have our UMP / Open show car for sale complete with a fresh engine and over 3k in spare parts for sale for $ 13,500.00. Car is a 2008 with 30 total nights with 11 feature wins and 21 heat wins.
www.coxracing.zoomshare.com

Common knowledge is where I got my numbers. Were you at any special events in my area? Love to hear you made the A main at the cornhusker classic, tiny lund, beatrice spring nationals or any other event around me with a 4 night old rr tire much less a 3500 dollar engine. It might give hope to others in the mod class.

Now if your excited about running what you got at a weekly track I could see that as the car count at most averages 12.

cavemod
12-31-2010, 11:33 PM
after 20 plus years around mods using different sanctions this is what i've learned :first to get into a mod no experience driving one before or dirt latemodel exp either to win right away on a consistant basis is just plain foolish not going to happen unless you get a top notch tuner setup guy to help you and rent a track a bunch for practice.as far as cost 2 trains of thought here first is spend the money and buy a new car and buy the big dollar motor and try to win with a big budget or the other way is (which I've seen works better 95% of the time)instead of trying to win with hp concentrate on the setup.Where i race in the north imca rules are at most tracks but we go to non sanctioned shows that use open motor rules and yes there are guys who run the big cid and hp motors and yes they do run up front but dont always win either bad fast or spin the tires and are at the point of being out of control ,getting in or causing wrecks.the guys who worry less about motors and more on setup have a tendency to do just as well and seem to crash less and do alot better on a wide variety of track conditions.motor guys like tacky smooth tracks but are the 1st to complain in the slick or rough.ive been to all kind of tracks in the midwest and the same is true no matter where you go.not that money wont win you races but it isnt always about the money. i ask all readers of this post no matter where you race what does it take to win on any given night?A well prepared car a driver who can drive that car properly for that setup and track condition and hopefully your car and setup and driver is the best on that given night.If someone setup is better tthat night then yours and neither driver makes a mistake then i guess you'll finish 2nd unless you get some kind of luck to help you.To prove my point in 2006 we took a iron headed 355 and ran a usmts show and got a top ten finish after getting a flat with ten to go and had to start at the rear and that motor had over 30 shows on it and the cost of the motor was under 8500 versus what they spend.Its all about setup chips are there to keep costs down rofl lets just give them traction control ever watch imce bmods with crate motors??at our track they run 4/10 faster lap times on average and it sure sounds funny when they hit the chip half way down the straights they have to brake less and are on the gas soonerso what does that spell.i got about 12500 in my car and i bought alot of stuff used but my motor was new(I do my own and alot of engine builders would charge 13k for it over 600 hp)the real question is how much do you have and want to spend ?

dirttrackrocker
01-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Common knowledge is where I got my numbers. Were you at any special events in my area? Love to hear you made the A main at the cornhusker classic, tiny lund, beatrice spring nationals or any other event around me with a 4 night old rr tire much less a 3500 dollar engine. It might give hope to others in the mod class.

Now if your excited about running what you got at a weekly track I could see that as the car count at most averages 12.

How do you know what the car count is at his weekly track?? The figures your spewing may be correct where you live, or if you plan on travelling the major events, but, not everyone does that.
I live in the northeast and there are WAY more guys running on his type of budget than yours, and yes a few of them even travelled out to Boone and did O.K.
The question was "Cost of running an open wheel mod" The figures you stated are extreme to say the least, yeah, there are guys who spend that much , but, you don't have to, it can be done for a lot less and still be competetive on a weekly basis.

stock car driver
01-01-2011, 07:54 AM
How do you know what the car count is at his weekly track?? The figures your spewing may be correct where you live, or if you plan on travelling the major events, but, not everyone does that.
I live in the northeast and there are WAY more guys running on his type of budget than yours, and yes a few of them even travelled out to Boone and did O.K.
The question was "Cost of running an open wheel mod" The figures you stated are extreme to say the least, yeah, there are guys who spend that much , but, you don't have to, it can be done for a lot less and still be competetive on a weekly basis.

The AVERAGE IMCA mod car count at ALL IMCA tracks was around 12 last year. I got that from IMCA.

The figures I stated arent extreme, they are what it would cost to run up front regularly IF you can drive and do set up. Sure I know guys with less and they make the A some of the time and not some of the time.

The guy that just did the leather in my dually bought one of Jets personal cars for 30k last year or year before, thats a factual number and jet won 26 features in the car.

USMTS five years ago vs today is like comparing a scooter and harley. 5 years ago only a handfull ran the series and the field was filled with locals with IMCA type cars. With only 5-7 USMTS regulars a top ten was easy for at least 3-5 guys, thats not the case today.

01-01-2011, 10:56 AM
check and see if they have a crate latemodel class its the best bang for the buck in my opinion, other wise we spend about 175.00 per night on average thats 1 new tire fuel and little stuff, we have about 15000.00 in the car and we race for 400.00 bucks

Lizardracing
01-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Here's an opinion to piss somebody off. Buying things new is new is stupid. Very stupid. There are so many good usable parts out there from stupid guys that over spend and I take full advantage of em. Of course there are things you should buy new. But almost every thing can be bought used and as long as you pay attention to what your getting it will be to your advantage.
My lastest accusition is a Falcon transmission. I bought it for $100 cause it jumped outa gear and made someone mad. I sent it too Falcon where they charged me $300 to make like new. THe problem was a simple thing that the original owner wasn't doing properly. With shipping included, it cost me $500 for a like new transmission. I bought my Bert Bell broken for $100 because the guy had to have one like right now and he had more money then sense. I paid a local guy $50 to weld it back together. I bought my QM starter on Ebay for $100. I sent it to QM to have it checked out. It needed no parts. Doing this way takes a little more time and but I have less than 1/3 price for my drive line set up and it's all been deemed good to go by the very manufacturer that design these things.

There is always some dumbass that has no idea what they are doing overspending to get ahead. I love these guys cause they make it possible for me to race.

circle dirt
01-01-2011, 01:46 PM
The AVERAGE IMCA mod car count at ALL IMCA tracks was around 12 last year. I got that from IMCA.

The figures I stated arent extreme, they are what it would cost to run up front regularly IF you can drive and do set up. Sure I know guys with less and they make the A some of the time and not some of the time.

The guy that just did the leather in my dually bought one of Jets personal cars for 30k last year or year before, thats a factual number and jet won 26 features in the car.

USMTS five years ago vs today is like comparing a scooter and harley. 5 years ago only a handfull ran the series and the field was filled with locals with IMCA type cars. With only 5-7 USMTS regulars a top ten was easy for at least 3-5 guys, thats not the case today.

ok, you have a opinion. Everyone is entitled to that. I race in eastern Iowa. 32 years now to be exact. Weekly car counts at our tracks was 18 - 22 every night.At our local track ,any of the top 15 could win the feature.Its that close. Check my website and read my profile. Not big headed , just saying I'm not blind either. I know what it takes to campaign a top running car and you don't need to spend 30k to do it. www.coxracing.zoomshare.com

stock car driver
01-01-2011, 04:56 PM
ok, you have a opinion. Everyone is entitled to that. I race in eastern Iowa. 32 years now to be exact. Weekly car counts at our tracks was 18 - 22 every night.At our local track ,any of the top 15 could win the feature.Its that close. Check my website and read my profile. Not big headed , just saying I'm not blind either. I know what it takes to campaign a top running car and you don't need to spend 30k to do it. www.coxracing.zoomshare.com

I dont care what your weekly track averages, IMCA just stated in this months paper they lowered the points you can earn for National pts bonus because car counts are down.

Cox, I looked at your site. It hasnt been updated since MAY... In May you won in your pro car and got 6th in your imca car, congrats to you!!

Are you going to the Ice Bowl next week in Alabama? Ill be there Thursday feel free to come say hi! Green street stock 66.

I didnt say it took 30k to campaign a top running car. I said the guy that did the interior install on my truck last week bought a top running car for 30k race ready USED........ To campaign it is a whole other story.

stock car driver
01-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Here's an opinion to piss somebody off. Buying things new is new is stupid. Very stupid. There are so many good usable parts out there from stupid guys that over spend and I take full advantage of em. Of course there are things you should buy new. But almost every thing can be bought used and as long as you pay attention to what your getting it will be to your advantage.
My lastest accusition is a Falcon transmission. I bought it for $100 cause it jumped outa gear and made someone mad. I sent it too Falcon where they charged me $300 to make like new. THe problem was a simple thing that the original owner wasn't doing properly. With shipping included, it cost me $500 for a like new transmission. I bought my Bert Bell broken for $100 because the guy had to have one like right now and he had more money then sense. I paid a local guy $50 to weld it back together. I bought my QM starter on Ebay for $100. I sent it to QM to have it checked out. It needed no parts. Doing this way takes a little more time and but I have less than 1/3 price for my drive line set up and it's all been deemed good to go by the very manufacturer that design these things.

There is always some dumbass that has no idea what they are doing overspending to get ahead. I love these guys cause they make it possible for me to race.

I sell lots of my parts used, there are some on ebay now no reserve enjoy... search 66jj. Ive got a huge list on here for sale also buy them up.

I would sell your falcon and get a bert or brinn.

circle dirt
01-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Sorry !! I'll tell my 16 year old daughter that she is slacking on the website.No , I'm limited on my time off because of my job duties. Next race on our schedule will be the Ice Breaker in Brownstown Ind.Where do you run weekly? I didn't ask if you cared about our average car counts. Your the one who made the comment about no cars.

stock car driver
01-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Sorry !! I'll tell my 16 year old daughter that she is slacking on the website.No , I'm limited on my time off because of my job duties. Next race on our schedule will be the Ice Breaker in Brownstown Ind.Where do you run weekly? I didn't ask if you cared about our average car counts. Your the one who made the comment about no cars.

I didnt make any comment about no cars. If you want to spar then try and follow along. I get bored easily.

I dont race weekly.

circle dirt
01-02-2011, 09:35 AM

You say you made no comment about no cars but in this statement you say we average around 12 at the most and you get your info from common knowledge but yet your just a part time racer. LOL No wonder you get bored. Bottom line is, race 3-4 nights a week for 30+ years and then you can honestly say what it cost to race. I'm done with this, I feel like I,m arguing with a kid.

stock car driver
01-02-2011, 09:51 AM
You say you made no comment about no cars but in this statement you say we average around 12 at the most and you get your info from common knowledge but yet your just a part time racer. LOL No wonder you get bored. Bottom line is, race 3-4 nights a week for 30+ years and then you can honestly say what it cost to race. I'm done with this, I feel like I,m arguing with a kid.

I would give up also if I was you as you clearly are unarmed in a battle of wits or common sense.

(look up the definition of AVERAGE and MOST) Then look at how they were used in my sentence you copy pasted. No where do I say a thing about any specific venue, much less yours, lol.

I raced only 30 nights in 2010 and 55 in 2009.

Im a part time rv'er, boat and fish guy, jeep rock crawler, race car builder, repair shop and lastly racer.

CsR41
01-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Spending 30 grand on a used car is ridiculous. you can build a good NEW car for that price.

yeah the cars are not made to take big hits, but just because they get hit doesn't make them junk. I see cars all the time that have been hit hard, fixed or stubbed win.

Maybe your friend doesn't know what he is doing?

stock car driver
01-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Spending 30 grand on a used car is ridiculous. you can build a good NEW car for that price.

yeah the cars are not made to take big hits, but just because they get hit doesn't make them junk. I see cars all the time that have been hit hard, fixed or stubbed win.

Maybe your friend doesn't know what he is doing?

I am not remotely sure what your even getting at here with this post.

30k was the price. Seemed fair to them.

Are you saying Jet the 4 or 5 time national champion or whatever he is doesnt know how to fix his own chassis?

powerslide
01-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Believe he is referring to one of your original posts where you stated once they are wrecked the "money guys" go buy a new one because they will not be the same again. So yes it would seem that the jet would not know how to fix his cars if this is the case. I don’t care how many national championship you have doesn’t mean you can re-clip a car correctly. You seem to throw out pointless figures in trying to make your points doesnt fly with me.

I agree the majority of IMCA racers are not spending this type of money he is the hot bed of IMCA area I believe. Obviously has ties to "the jet". Personally i cannot believe someone paid 30k for a used IMCA car. You can go USMTS or late model racing for that.

It obvious you are a pessimistic person who knows it all, almost every post on this forum from you turns into one of these arguments. Also curious if you have ever funded a mod team because it sure seems like you have some sort of full bodied stock car

My rant is done now onto the original question. i believe someone said you can get a good used ride for 7-8k with another 7-8k budgeted for motor. I would budget atlest one new tire a night and 2barrels of fuel per month if running alky. you will go through alot of wheels as well.

If you are starting out and have nothing and are wanting to do this and have a truck already i would say for 25k you could have all car/trailer/tools need to make it through a season barring any major wrecks/blow ups. No you are not going to win all these big money shows but you should be able to compete weekly at 2-3tracks and learn to drive a keep up with the pack once this is accomplished come back and see us again and we can attempt to upgrade your program

I am not remotely sure what your even getting at here with this post.

30k was the price. Seemed fair to them.

Are you saying Jet the 4 or 5 time national champion or whatever he is doesnt know how to fix his own chassis?

powerslide
01-02-2011, 03:37 PM
4 to 500 bucks a night provided you have no damage from the previous week. But that won't usually happen 2 weeks in a row in this class. We have invested about $40,000 in the last 15 races NO JOKE.And $15,000 in the 15 before that :mad:.What was the difference you ask ? The first 15 were ran with older equipment that ran 6th to 12th. The last 15 were ran with top shelf stuff that runs 3rd to 5th so far. If we can keep idiots from tearing it up for us this year long enough to dial it in I expect that will improve to 1st to 3rd.:cool::cool::cool:

So really you didnt spend 40k in 15 races. you have to average the cost of the car/motor over the amount of time you run it, unless you wrecked/blew up.
When i worked for a regional late model team it averaged out to cost about 800-900 per night to run a super late model this was in 2008.

I think these big spenders are what keeps the little guy from trying to make the jump to mods, yes you will be competing against some big money teams with more in haulers than most of us have in our homes but with hard work and smart spending you can beat them

dirty white boy
01-02-2011, 04:11 PM
thought a stock clip clammier motor class was sposed to be cheap racing....for the money y'all talking you could run late model...

powerslide
01-02-2011, 06:14 PM
No I ment 40k, with damages and what the car is worth now difference from what we have spent getting it ,And cost taking it to the track minus its winning returns,that is a pretty accurate figure for what we have spent (as per the question). Now with some luck we can spread that a little more. Will take a lot of luck to recover that expense.

Wow must of completely wasted 2-3cars or motors. Sorry about your luck

hotrod4890
01-02-2011, 06:34 PM
I was just looking around for the cost of getting into a IMCA type mod with good equipment. You can get a 2 year old used Hughes car for $8,500 - $9,000 off of racing junk. You can get a new Mullins IMCA motor for $12,000. You can get a new motor of good quality and power with a lesser name for less money. I owned a UMP modified for over 10 years and never had a professionally built car or motor. We used a local machine shop to build our motors and we built our own cars. We ran a local track down in Louisiana and won 8 - 12 features a year for many years. Yes we got in bad wrecks at times like anywhere else in the country. We reclipped the car several times and never had a problem. If you chose a track to learn on smaller and stays pretty slick you will not need the $20,000 power plants that some on here will tell you have to have. Learn everything you can about fabrication and car set up. Spend your money wise. You don't have to buy new tires every time you go to the track. We ran the same tires 4 weeks in a row and won all 4 weeks by keeping the tires clean, buffed, and turned around. Work on your setup to keep from cooking the tires. Most of the time we could run a softer tire than most of the cars we ran against by having a well set up car, a good smooth driver, and yes less power. And starting out choose your races wisely. Everyone wants to win the big races but look at the pay back and ask yourself if you can win enough to cover your cost. Also remember that the bigger and and more hooked up a track is the harder it is on everything. Hope I have helped you and I know that this stockcar racing IDOT will have a lot of bashing to do about this but I don't want someone like that to make you not want to race. PM me if I can ever do anything to help you.

stockcar5
01-02-2011, 06:50 PM
since i've never raced a mod i cant say what they cost to run but going by what good stuff is sold for and what new stuff costs i'd say 25k will get you a new roller and a good motor. i've seen 1 year old harris and skyrocket cars checked on a jig, repowder coated and all new tin for 10k-11k roller.

stock car driver
01-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Believe he is referring to one of your original posts where you stated once they are wrecked the "money guys" go buy a new one because they will not be the same again. So yes it would seem that the jet would not know how to fix his cars if this is the case. I don’t care how many national championship you have doesn’t mean you can re-clip a car correctly. You seem to throw out pointless figures in trying to make your points doesnt fly with me.

I agree the majority of IMCA racers are not spending this type of money he is the hot bed of IMCA area I believe. Obviously has ties to "the jet". Personally i cannot believe someone paid 30k for a used IMCA car. You can go USMTS or late model racing for that.

It obvious you are a pessimistic person who knows it all, almost every post on this forum from you turns into one of these arguments. Also curious if you have ever funded a mod team because it sure seems like you have some sort of full bodied stock car

My rant is done now onto the original question. i believe someone said you can get a good used ride for 7-8k with another 7-8k budgeted for motor. I would budget atlest one new tire a night and 2barrels of fuel per month if running alky. you will go through alot of wheels as well.

If you are starting out and have nothing and are wanting to do this and have a truck already i would say for 25k you could have all car/trailer/tools need to make it through a season barring any major wrecks/blow ups. No you are not going to win all these big money shows but you should be able to compete weekly at 2-3tracks and learn to drive a keep up with the pack once this is accomplished come back and see us again and we can attempt to upgrade your program

No ties to Jet.

I just visit with him when I see him. It was his car that sold for 30k off the track to the guy that just put a leather kit in my old 08 dodge for me.

Your stoned if you think you can buy a USMTS or open LATE Model car that runs up front DIRECTLY off the track for 30k.

Sure there are lots of cars cheaper for sale we all sell cheap when we dont want what we have anymore.

texas racer
01-17-2011, 10:15 PM
All that you want to spend and then some.

steveshawjr
02-03-2011, 03:51 AM
haha i rember when we first got mods at our track it was just as cheep to run as a ss (15 years ago) now some have more than our lm in there car big dollor haulers just to pull to the local track and 1 or 2 times a year to try to make a show at eldora ,

it WAS the hole point about the modified to begain with to have a cheep class ,

its said to say we have 4 classes at our track and not one is near stock you can go get a lm chassis and run anyone if you know what to do with is

mini stocks are now mod4s we use lm chassis wit ha mustang rear end abd a 3 link pinto front

superstocks lm chassis camaro clip 9" floaters wit ha 3 link

modified are just lm with a stock clilp

and lates

some ministock guys got 10k plus in a car
supers 15k plus
lm/mods 20k plus

now that i ranted about my track a bit lol ive been looking at the southren sportmods class and would realy like to get them up hear it is a street stock with a modified body with a big engine set back let em run a crate or a spec engine rule give them part numbers for everything if you go spec that whay it even and bring the driver back into the mix of things

mandate a tire buying rule like a lot of pavement tracks have 8 befor the season than only 1 a night its the track that got to take controll of the cost maybe just get rid of a santion and make your own rules alot of guy cant run 50+nights a year and could care less about winning a ump division tital or national tital

just a few ideas

but for the one looking into cost i put it this way "Racing is a hole just to lose a bunch of money"

hey i spend my money racing i dont booze , do drugs , or anything that is boaring like stamps and coins

and as the king would say "To make a million in racing , Start with 2 and know when to quit")

mr.slidewayz
02-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Ran Legend cars on asphalt for a little bit and dirt karts a few years before that. Got out of racing due to college and now looking to get back into it again after a few months of selling the legend car (this bug just won't go away..)

Looking into running a dirt modified, but would like to get a feel for the cost. Could anyone give some rough figures for stuff like tires, fuel, weekly maintenance, ect.?

Will be racing in Florida if that helps (Ocala, Volusia)

Thanks

there are some tracks that are taking the big money factor out of the equasion . they are adding up to 400 dollars (along with added money to 2nd and 3rd) to the top finisher in a sport mod with their 602 crate engine (basically a hand-me-down a-mod with a $3000 engine) running on a A-compound tire . a local g.m dealer added the money , so this isnt happening everywhere . but these guys have my undivided attention . as it turns out ...... the 602 is winning these races . so tack on another $250. bucks for a total of 650 and the evening would be a good one . other tracks nearby have the same rules but dont have the added top pay for the 602). im going to join them . level playing feild , inexpensive , reliable , with a deasent payout . it gives a lowbuck guy a chance to have fun and not go broke in the process . lets hope this catches onn across the country !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frontrunner
02-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Well one of my cars is a 94 leafspring car I paid 2,500 dollars 4 this car 10 years ago & it still runs up front & I can run up front with all the guys with the new cars 4bar or what not we build r oun motors but I got the block dne and just bought the new rotating asembly and balanced & just bought the heads & sent them away & redone when dne I have 3,000 dollars in the motor its a strocker with 575 hp... all I worry about the most is the setup.. And it costs me around 125.00 to 150dollars a night to go racing & I do keep good maint.. up on the car & do not have to spend much money in this car..Sooo I think it can be done if you dnt want to spend a arm & a leg.......

racin6mod
02-03-2011, 08:18 PM
I built my own chassis for this year and I've got 1800 in it as a roller with a 9 inch rearend that I got at an auction everything else is new.the aluminum is another $350 to $400.I also build my own engines after machine work and parts they cost around 2 grand for a steel headed engine and my aluminum headed engine was around 5 grand.

frontrunner
02-03-2011, 09:28 PM
And it is fun runnin with the guys that has 20k or more in there car so that shows ya u dnt need 2 spend all that money for all that good stuff.........

zachmckenzieracing
02-05-2011, 02:51 AM
To be straight forward, you can count on spending atleast $10,000 to run a season, and thats not including the purchase of equipment. When it comes to equipment, you get what you pay for. You have to consider travel expenses, fuel, pit passes, food, tires, oil and other fluids, general upkeep and repair. Last year I spent over $40,000 purchasing a car, motor, rear end, extra parts, tires, fuel, ect. You can spend much more if you choose, and there are people out there that do spend more than that. Much more than that.

frontrunner
02-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Well one of my cars is a 94 leafspring car I paid 2,500 dollars 4 this car 10 years ago & it still runs up front & I can run up front with all the guys with the new cars 4bar or what not we build r oun motors but I got the block dne and just bought the new rotating asembly and balanced & just bought the heads & sent them away & redone when dne I have 3,000 dollars in the motor its a strocker with 575 hp... all I worry about the most is the setup.. And it costs me around 125.00 to 150dollars a night to go racing & I do keep good maint.. up on the car & do not have to spend much money in this car..Sooo I think it can be done if you dnt want to spend a arm & a leg.......

Like I said in my messg. it can be dne without spending alot of money, The car counts are mostly around 20 and we can still run up front with guys with high dollars in there car soo i dnt think you have to wast ur money to run with the guys that they think they have to put all that money in the car just to make them look good, becouse u will fill brtter when u go out there and look good without all that money in the car...Knowing ur not spendig near the money on the car & it always fills good when ya dnt have much money in the car or dnt have the money to spend and still beat the guys with 20k plus in there car..........