PDA

View Full Version : Helmet and firesuit???

mudderfudder
12-30-2010, 06:56 AM
Hey there fellas, Im in the market for a new firesuit and helmet and was wondering what everyones opinion was on them and what everyones preference was. One thing I am looking at is one of those small fesh air filter pumps that mount rite to the helment so I dont think any of the impact helmets are an option, or are they?? Thanks for your time.

Moreland24
12-30-2010, 08:15 AM
I've been using an Impact S/S with air on top for about 4 years now, I like it, they're comfortable helmets and not crazy priced.

dirttrack77
12-30-2010, 09:34 AM
i'm not sure on what helmets they have for the air inlet, however i wouldnt trade my impact for anything

lovinlatemodels
12-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Look at the Bell Helments been running them for yrs with no problems. Just make sure you try on before you buy if it's not comfortable it will be miseralbe to wear all night. I've tried simpson and impact and they just were not comfortable to me. As far as a suit goes how much you want to spend i run a Speed Sport made in pa. good quality and price is rite. I have been in a fire with one yrs ago and the suit held up great. They have a web site search Speed Sport Uniforms Inc.

jason29a
12-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Ok here is my honest opinion.... And its JMO.

I had sponsorship that supplied me with Simpson Helmets (local race shop). I like them just fine. But there over 700 .00 each. I also have a two bells that I used this year and I like them better i think. They seem just to fit better around the ears with the race receiver ear buds in.

I have a Design500 suit that after being refitted twice I still cant wear it. It was over 2,000.00.... I have a awsome racewear suit that i got this year and I love it, fits great but then again right around a 1,000.00....

So heres my advice... Helments,,, RCI or Bell Sport. Firesuits,,, Safety Racing, RCI, or Finishline. Good quality stuff, just not the really high prices.

Its all available through Speedway Motors.... If you cant wear off the shelf suits because of sizing, buy the up size and find someone in your area to tailor it just like you would a fitted dress suit. Thats my advice JMO. Try not to spend money you dont need to spend. I understand you cant put a price on safety, but you would be.

supercomet32
12-31-2010, 07:20 AM
If you had your suit resized through a tailor make sure they use the same thread that meets SFI rating and make suir you double or triple stitch. I can tell you for a fact that most tailors wont resize a SFI rated suit due to the law suit of them not meeting the standard and beign held liable. I can also tell you for a fact that you are altering a SFI rated garment and are rendering the SFI rating null and void. last thing you want is a nice FITTING suit comign apart on you due to someone else unqualified work failing in a life or death situation.....which should bring upt a point whjy is anything with the name simpson or impact still being considered an option when both companies have proven that they will work around the SFI standard to sell a product at YOUR risk and expense adn then not offer to replace them FREE when caught.....I guess most people dont think with their head when makign a purchase and get caught up in the nostalgia of simpson and the COOL features of impact. both companies should be legally banned from producing safety products after their lies coverups and attempts to make a buck while risking someones life.

Dirt2727
12-31-2010, 07:27 AM
I thought the product was good but just the label itself was counterfeit.

mudderfudder
12-31-2010, 07:27 AM
www.velocita-usa.com
Has anyone delt with this company? How is the quality and how do they fit?? Also I already have a Impact SS helmet and yes it is a nice peice and fit great but ive had it for almost 4 years,,,so is it time to replace or no? If so I would rather have the side port for the fresh air pump just to help with head clearence. The Impact helmet was kinda a problem.
Thanks a million guys for your input!!

jason29a
12-31-2010, 09:05 AM
The fire retardant thread is easy to come by, either in Nomex or Kevlar, about $20 per 1000yds... Tailors, girlfriends, and grandmas that know how to sew also easy to come by.

And suit alteration is a moot point if you can wear a standard size. I was just recomending options.

Option B... Wear a two piece

My point was that you dont have to spend thousands of dollars on safety equipment to be safe.

hucktyson
12-31-2010, 01:17 PM
I find it extreamly hard to beleive that your design 500 doesnt fit, did they measure you or did you try to do it your self ? I bought a uniform from them in 2004 i had them measure meat the pri show at the fit is absolutely rediculous i cant even explain how pefect the fit is, in fact after wearing that there is no way i could settle for a suit from anywhere else, in fact i just ordered a new one with a differant design and colors. In my opinion and i never give compliments, design 500 is the best suit money can buy hand down bottom line.

jason29a
12-31-2010, 02:45 PM
I was racing at Skagit Speedway in Washinton. The owner of the company came and measured me. It doesnt fit. And it didnt fit after I sent it back to them. Its also incredibly heavy. Like i said i dont wear it...

I think they make good suits. Ive seen some great ones. Mine just doesnt fit, and it is very very heavy, about 5lbs heavier than my Awsome Racewear. And about a thousand dollars more. Those arean't make believe numbers, just the facts.

If anyone is going to be at the Chili Bowl this year go over and talk to Kyle at the Awsome Racewear booth. They will measure you and keep it on file just in case you ever decide you want to order one.