PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Question (Bent Rearend) - Building SportMod

BleedingOrange
12-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Working on my new sportmod build. Frame is tack-welded to a level jig on front and rear of side rails. The x bracing and main cage is welded in. The rear horns were cut just behind the spring buckets/shock mounts just as most cars with tubular rear-ends and plated the holes. We are welding a piece of square tubing to the back of the horns where they were cut and plated. However, when holding the tubing level (yes, using a level), it was determined that the left (driver side) horn is about 1/2-3/4 inch higher than the right side. We laid a level across the top of the rear horns between the spring buck and the shock mount where its relatively flat and noticed it was for sure not level. We double checked the jig and it was level.

So, I'd like to get others opinions on what this will do to the car if left alone. Also, should we pull the left horn down with a strap and try to start and complete the entire rear tubing with the strap holding it down to level? I have a feeling that once the strap is loosened, it will flex all of our work. Anyone else have experiences like this?

hotrod4890
12-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Measure from your trailing arm mounting points own to your jig and see if they are the same. If they are and you have adjustable spring mounts I wouldn't think it would really hurt anything.

BleedingOrange
12-30-2010, 02:18 PM
I thought about that after posting the questions. I'll take a look at that and see what I'm working with.