PDA

View Full Version : Usra

tumbleweed
12-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Our two local tracks just informed us that they were going to USRA and leaving UMP. What are the pro's and con's? Really don't know what differences there are between the two groups. I do know we will be running American Racers, which, I like a lot better than the Hoosiers as far as wear.

p-towne
12-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Our two local tracks just informed us that they were going to USRA and leaving UMP. What are the pro's and con's? Really don't know what differences there are between the two groups. I do know we will be running American Racers, which, I like a lot better than the Hoosiers as far as wear.

Pretty much run along the lines of IMCA You may not like the license fee. May or may not like the chip rule Ump just posted their rules on this forum

http://www.usraracing.com/rulesdetail.asp?NewsID=6947

cavemod
12-30-2010, 02:56 PM
there isn't much difference between ump and usra most notiable is the tire rule can still use fabricated spindles and aluminum engine parts.from what i see the usra and usmts are the same and ump also runs them lines where as imca has a totaly different package from cage specs (1 5/8 usra ump versus 1 3/4 imca),engine parts(aluminum parts on usra and ump versus cast iron no rollers or shaft rockers and new this year a chip)lots of suspension rules tubular lowers versus stamped,liftbars being outlawed in imca after june 2011 and then theres tires. be grateful there going usra and not imca your car might not be able to compete in imca.hope this sheds a little light

HEAVY DUTY
12-30-2010, 06:12 PM
I'd say thank your lucky stars

tumbleweed
12-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the replies. Under UMP, our tracks ran a 8000 chip this last year. I liked the rule and so should have several other drivers-two motors broke compared to 8-10 year before. And, these motors were $25,000-$35,000 motors. What was strange is lap times didn't go down and the fans enjoyed the races just as much as motors turning 9300. UMP license were $100 and I think USRA will be $125. I guess time will tell.

stockcar5
12-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. Under UMP, our tracks ran a 8000 chip this last year. I liked the rule and so should have several other drivers-two motors broke compared to 8-10 year before. And, these motors were $25,000-$35,000 motors. What was strange is lap times didn't go down and the fans enjoyed the races just as much as motors turning 9300. UMP license were $100 and I think USRA will be $125. I guess time will tell.

if you broke 10 $35,000 engines i think you need a new engine builder..not a chip rule!

tumbleweed
01-01-2011, 07:37 AM
I didn't break a $35,000 motor but others did. They all came from 3 different "big name builders". I'm a poorboy racer-have about $2700 in my motor and have ran it four years with nothing but oil changes. Probably been lucky. Going thru it this coming week before dropping into "new" car.