PDA

View Full Version : Front spring rates for chevelle stub, metric spindles?

torodemi73
01-02-2011, 10:51 AM
What is a good starting point for a car with a chevelle front stub and metric spindles? Also, what size spacers, if any, should i start with for the tie-rods/spindles for my bump steer?

$UMP$
01-02-2011, 01:35 PM
What is a good starting point for a car with a chevelle front stub and metric spindles? Also, what size spacers, if any, should i start with for the tie-rods/spindles for my bump steer? 600/650 OR 650/700 Get rid of the metric spindles and find some pinto spindles!

Bcollins82
01-02-2011, 02:09 PM
What style of rear suspension are you using? That is a big factor in what rate of springs you should start at up front. And UMP is right, metric spindles aren't normally used on the chevelle clip.

hammond
01-05-2011, 09:56 PM
If you are on the the small metric spindle spacer about 1/2-5/8 long for a start. But Check out my spindles on my website listed below . They will make you car wider ,better camber curve, and take about 1/8 bump steer spacer and the steering arm is shorter then a Small metric and longer then a Pinto. Gives you better tie rod angle . My spindles are TALLER so you can run short ball joints . Give me a call about them .IMCA LEGAL 563 659 1153 .9am-6pm

torodemi73
01-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I am not going to switch to pinto spindles. As for the bump steer spacers, is it 1/2-5/8 on the left and right? Its an off brand chassis so I don't have a good place to start for bump steer, etc. We are just going to get it in the ball park and adjust from there. I realize we need to check the bump steer with the gauge. We are not running 4-bar in the rear, its going to be a hybrid swing-arm, so i'm not looking for a lot of rear steer in back, and not a whole lot of split in the j-bar ( maybe 2-3 inches) what are guys running nowadays with pierce or shaw cars for example? I know with our grt late model 15 years ago we were one of the first to start adding more rake to the j-bar than grt was recommending ( i think we were up to 5 inches or so, not sure, its been awhile).