PDA

View Full Version : altanator ???

dirty white boy
01-04-2011, 12:35 AM
what alternator be best to run on a chevy super street car,..easiest to wire up an mount on a small block with v pulleys?? i hear the "one wire" alternator is best but dont know what thay came on??? any help be appreciated!!

raceman17
01-04-2011, 12:24 PM
You can mke our own one wire alternator pretty easy.

All you really need to do is go to autozone and buy a cheap alternator for like a 77 chevy 350. Make sure u get the small plug that plugs into the side of the alternaot. You may have to purchase that seperately.

The alternator will have a place on the side of it where the plug will plug into the side of it. It should have two terminals. One will be marked with a #1 and the other will be marked #2. So you take the plug a snip off the wire coming out of the #1 terminal since we dont care to have a charge light on a race car. Thats what the number #1 terminal does. Its the idiot light lead. Then you take the other lead and put a small crimp terminal on it that will go around the large post n the back of the alternator. Then you put the terminal on the large stud along with another wire that leads directly to the positive battery post and you now have a one wire alternator! Pretty easy and works great! My old ford pickup is wired like this with a chevy alternator. I use to run one years ago on my bomber cars.

dirty white boy
01-04-2011, 04:33 PM
thanks,...now how do i wire up a amp gage...

Wrencherer
01-04-2011, 10:24 PM
If I was you I would use a volt meter easer to hook up and if it is reading around 14 volts you know your alt is working

dirty white boy
01-04-2011, 11:08 PM
If I was you I would use a volt meter easer to hook up and if it is reading around 14 volts you know your alt is working

ok,..but what be the best way to wire it up?? between hot wire from battery to alternator??

Wrencherer
01-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I would put the pos (+) to the switch and neg (-) to ground that way it won't drain any power from battery when the car is not running. If you are running two switches (an ign and a aux) put it with the aux.

keithbaker
01-05-2011, 10:14 AM
how much hp does it take to run an alternator? or will it help hp (no battery loss)?

turner
01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
On a 730 hp drag car (3827) lbs, the alternator slowed us down almost a tenth of a second.That was with an msd ignition.I have read that an msd shows no power loss all the way down to 8 volts.I have also read that an hei will lose power with anything under 13 volts, and that it makes more power with an alternator.I have always ran our dirt car with an alternator with the hei.Never dyno tested it with and without though.

bushracing67
01-12-2011, 10:15 PM
drag car runs for a minute total from burnout to return lane, stock car runs for 30 minutes... big difference, last year was my first year with an alternator... if you run a fresh air helmet you do not need a voltmeter to know if its working, i can hear my blower speed pick up every time i goose the throttle under yellow lol