PDA

View Full Version : 604 Valve springs

DK1
01-05-2011, 06:39 PM
How often do you need to change valve springs on a 604? Are we talking once a season or several times during the season. Or does it depend on RPM?

Matt49
01-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Every 300 laps is good

pcope98
01-06-2011, 11:06 AM
i check mine every week, they usually last about 300- 400 laps depending how hard you turn the motor.i buy mine from race 1 in ohio he sorts the springs and doesnt charge an arm and a leg for them

DK1
01-06-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm located in ohio. where is race 1? also how hard is hard?

9WRACER
01-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Race 1 is located at 299 E. Western Reserve Rd. in Poland, Ohio

brad hibbard
01-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Race-1 is undecided at this point whether or not we will sell springs in 2011.

It is very time consuming to sort thru large lots of springs to find the ones on the high end of the specs.

besides being a VERY low profit item for us there is a few underlying problems as well.

Our website will be updated soon with 2011 information.

Always call ahead before coming to the shop

Thank You
Brad Hibbard
www.race-1.com

dynoman14
01-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Brads' springs are good deal. I have gotten in a couple sets of Race-1 springs from customers for testing on my spring dyno and they tested as stock springs would in all parameters. They did compression rate at the top end of the scale for 604's which is 100# on my spring rating dyno. For the amount of work that goes into just rating and matching sets of springs it would not be profitable if you doubled the cost of a stock spring.

I will continue to sell my treated GM springs, retainers and locks and have seen consistent rates well into 500 lap range with rpms up to 6600, dropping to 250 laps @6800 and 100 laps @ 7000. Retreatment of springs ( $50 ) will return them to 95% of their dynamic range if they are done prior to discharge. My 26 step process is similar to charging a battery in which the spring retains energy to change the resonant frequency of the coil. Once completely discharged the spring will no longer retain stored energy and operates as a stock spring until it starts losing spring rate. If you would like to do your own research on the spring deal you can look to Eibach for some of their technology related to their lifetime guarantee on suspension coil springs.

Most customers have a couple sets of valve springs and rotate them out at a time interval that suits their race program.

The process of rating each valve spring is similar to running a shock on a dyno. Considering the time involved in processing and testing I don't even begin to break even on labor costs but the advantage is so significant that I do it to help sell my other products.

On customer request we have come up with a treatment process for the springs inside the GM Lifters. It has been a real eye opener and significant in noise reduction in the valvetrain system when running on the spin-tron and engine dyno. I can't say it was my idea as an Alabama Preacher Man talked me into it. Along those lines I have develped a similarly successful treatment program for the stock GM rings that enables them to retain their radial rate almost 4 times as long as stock rings as verified thru hundreds of leak-down tests with 10 different engine builders and customers. Stock rings lose their rates at 500-1000laps depending on engine heat and oiling. Bore Surface heat kills most rings. Ring heat testing conducted at Mahle in Germany for a German 24HR race program.

If you want additional info on the crate part just pm me or mail to : mancinelli@att.net