PDA

View Full Version : 4bar on asphalt

Kevin05
01-07-2011, 09:07 AM
i have a question that I need some feedback on. One of the tracks (asphalt) that is close to me started running mods last year. They are paying good $$ and have small car counts. Other than changing shock/spring rates and moving the panhard bar to the other side. Does anybody know of any good reason that a 4 bar car would not work on asphalt ?

dirttrackrocker
01-07-2011, 09:23 AM
I would think it would be WAY to much rear steer. It would also likely wear the RF tire out rather quickly. Probably better to lock the birdcages and go 3 link.

imcamodfan84
01-07-2011, 09:30 AM
I would also think way to much rear steer. I know alot of guys add sway bars to them also.

calif54
01-07-2011, 10:14 AM
The asphalt team I used to crew for won a ton of races in the 90's running a 4-link Lefthander late model chassis. The driver was a former NASCAR National Champion and really got the 4-link working well on a 1/4 mile bull ring here in Madera California. The bar lengths were considerably longer taming down the rear steer as mentioned above, but I think you could make it work with some tweaking. Might want to give Lefthander a call and ask them some questions.

powerslide
01-07-2011, 12:29 PM
i would put your "rubbered up" setup on and give it a try. i think you will be suprised, obviously you dont want to completely change the rear suspension cause you are still running dirt. Try it like i stated above then try moving the panhard bar straight up as high as possible with the same amount of rake.

steveshawjr
01-07-2011, 01:12 PM
first off what type of track is it .. some pavement tracks can be rough and can change a setup in a bigway , banking all things to take in to effect

i would preferr a 3 link but if you can get the 4 link to work go with it

i would look at taking all the bar angels out start with them level

make a long panhard and put it on the rearend on the left about 7" off the ground and about 8 off the grond right chassis side now for pull/liftbar look at a heavyer spring 12-1300lbs

if its a metric clip car look for the big 85 monte swaybar fro the front should be 44mm ill dubbel check

now springs depends on track i like the bbss setup (big bar soft spring) but tracks got to be faily smoth and not big banked

now this is where the soft springs come in if its fairly smoth and not much more than 12deg bank 300lf 325rf 200lr 350rr

now shocks tiedown lf tie down rf with a bit softer rebound
50/50lr rr easy up your trying to get it all on the lf witch will save your rf tire

just some things to look at anyways without nowing track specs any kind of setup will be hard

Kevin05
01-07-2011, 02:57 PM
The track is a true 1/2 mile 10-12 degree banks depending on what you read, and it does take on rubber. I would start with a dry/slick set up.

Renegade Cust Susp
01-07-2011, 04:53 PM
I would do what it took to run a 3link, almost 80% of your pavement cars run 3 link rear suspensions.