PDA

View Full Version : when to freshen a motor

Pstocknova
01-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Hi guys.. I have a 383 Eagle forged crank, eagle h-beam rods, J&E pistons, solid cam.. Motor has never been over 7000, had the oil changed every 2 weeks, burns Zero oil...Motor has 1100 laps, and never been hot... Is it time to freshen and if so... what all should be done... Was thinking new rod bolts, rings, bearings, and a new set of valve springs... Any help here would be great... this is an awesome motor and dont want to blow it up because im to stupid to take care of it.. Thanks guys

soonersublime
01-08-2011, 10:31 PM
I would go through it and change the following

Bearings
Cam
Lifters
Valve springs
Retainers
Rebuild or replace rocker arms
Rod bolts
Rings
Everything fluxed

LFMotorsports
01-09-2011, 12:00 AM
The easy answer is replace everything you think will wear out or loose strength. Bearings wear and valve springs loose their rate and rings loose compression (various reasons). If you are tight on money, bearings, rings (hone cylinders), and valve springs. Make sure you look at everything close (or your motor guy) because you can find valves with bad lock grooves to cam wear.

Just my opinion and good luck.

dirty white boy
01-09-2011, 01:24 AM
id throw a oil pump in it too

fast_crew
01-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Most guys rebuild around 500miles, on an all out race engine. You could probably go 600 miles. But things to look at: flat tappet cam and lifters are probably about used up.
The oil pump I would just disassemble and inspect, just as good of chance as a new one failing these days, dry sump pumps last for years of service if they don't get junk ran through them.
Rings and bearings, inspect cam bearings for wear. Pistons if there scuffed up badly. As mentioned have the crank and rods wet magged to check for cracks, and have the rods, big end inspected for roundness and size, check the bushings for wear and galling.
Have the heads checked out probably need the valve job touched up atleast.
Check timing chain for excessive stretch, use a good timing set with the silver "IWIS" chain, if your not already.

Clean up and reassemble

stock car driver
01-12-2011, 01:00 PM
20-25 nights on dirt or if you get hot or have any other issue

fast_crew
01-12-2011, 02:41 PM
The locks and retainers should go several rebuilds with out needing replacing, if there bad in a season you have valve control issues, (float, bounce), or they are very low quality. We reuse them for several years on an 8,000rpm sprint car engine, Titanium locks and retainers. Ti wears faster then steel..

Pstocknova
01-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Fist of all I want to say thanks for all the replys. I really want to do this motor right I have WAY over 5000 bucks in building this motor... I'm thinking i'll prob. do rings, bearings, and springs, along with rod bolts. This has been alot of help... Dont mind spending a little money to keep a really strong motor together. Any other advise would be great!!!