PDA

View Full Version : Heim Maintenance

racer241
01-11-2011, 02:47 AM
I was wondering since most of you guys have done this longer than i have, what works best for heims. One of my guys swears by the dry moly spray but the car is really squeaky and feels tight i wonder if thats not getting it. He worries about attracting dirt, any thing work well for you guys??

hpmaster
01-11-2011, 06:04 AM
I soak them 30 or 10 30 oil after I clean and run them on a buffing wheel. Then put Never seize on the threads when screwin them in. Not sayin it's right or wrong but been doin it this way since before I was gray.

Matt49
01-11-2011, 08:07 AM
I'm not sure what you are using but I will say this. If you start with junk, you'll end up with junk. Don't use anything on suspension components that is an "economy" heim. Spend the extra money on a precision piece that won't wear out on you.
As far as maintenance, soaking them in oil on occasion is a good idea. We keep a little oil bath that we soak a lot of parts in and the heims get it every so often. Use a superior lube with PTFE. The PTFE will not attract dirt and will actually keep dirt sealed out. We have used Tri-Flow for a long time and love it but it is REALLY expensive ($16.00 for a 12 oz. can) and it is getting harder to find. My crew guys are too liberal with the stuff for me to keep spending that kind of dough unless it’s really that good so we are going to experiment this season with “3-in-1 High Performance with PTFE” to see if we get similar results at less than half the price.

Dirt2727
01-11-2011, 08:46 AM
WD-40 after I wash car...and WD-40 before the car races.....been workin for years......keep it simple

Matt49
01-11-2011, 09:15 AM
WD-40 after I wash car...and WD-40 before the car races.....been workin for years......keep it simple

Don’t get me started on all the things wrong with using WD-40 as a primary source of lubrication.
To start with, WD-40 was developed as a DE-GREASER which is why we use to CLEAN things. WD-40 works well as a rust-inhibitor (water displacement is what the WD stands for) and as a penetrating agent but it’s lubrication characteristics make it good for things like squeaky door hinges, not race car parts in my opinion. AND…WD-40 is a MAGNET for dirt and dirt will dry out and damage your heims quicker than anything. Once they are dry, it is metal on metal. Heims are just like bearings and they should be lubricated accordingly – with a superior lubricant which WD-40 simply is not.
I’m not trying to start an argument on this but do your own research. The only people that really believe WD-40 is a superior lubricant are the marketing folks at WD-40. I’m glad it has worked out for you but there are much better products for heim lubrication out there.

jason29a
01-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Ok I used WD-40... I wash the car and spray the heims. I love it. I haven't ever had any problems with it. Im am sure you could find something better. But when you race on the road its easy to use and you can buy it anywhere pretty cheap.

Heims stay clean and free. I dont like greaseable heims, the car I drive now has outpace rods on them and I dont use them. I just dont like how dirty they get. I dont care if they work or not.

talclipse
01-11-2011, 11:46 AM
I think all the information presented thus far is assuming you are using a traditional steel/ CM heim. If by chance you are using the newer teflon lined heims DO NOT use any of the previously mentioned lubricants on them as it will ruin the heim.

For all of our other heims I use a moly based lubricant/ shock ends. It seems to work pretty welll and as long as we lubricate the night before does not draw much dust.

Just my $0.02.

JTSjet
01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
i've never thought of wd-40 as anything other than a cleaner/degreaser. i wouldn't recommend it for any kind of lubricant. there's a product available in my neighborhood in a lot of stores made by Justice Brothers called JB-80. It's designed to be a penatrant but it has great lubricating properties too. I've used that for years as a top lube after cleaning heims with wd-40. It does, however, attract the dirt.

Being around the heavy equipment industry, i stumbled on to a company near me in Martinsburg, WV called Chem-Pak http://www.chem-pak.com/catalog/industrial_chemicals/index.html

They have PTFE and Moly based lubricants and many others. You have to order by the case, but my past experience in other applications with the "Moly Gear Gard" and "PTFE Dry Lube" has been great. I have a case of each i'm eager to try out this season on the cars. The price isn't bad either, but i picked them up at their dock so i'm not sure what shipping would run.

giffordracing
01-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Don't no where u get your Tri-Flow at...but they seen you coming...Message me if you want a better deal by the case

Buhr Racing
01-11-2011, 03:46 PM
We started using this product and it has made a world of difference in the heim joints....INOX MX5 product

http://www.jbenterprisesoffl.com/mx5plusptfelubricant.htm

It's not cheap but read the spec sheet and see for yourself the qualities it has in the product. Doesn't take a lot if used properly.

Matt49
01-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Don't no where u get your Tri-Flow at...but they seen you coming...Message me if you want a better deal by the case

Check your PMs. I have seen it cheaper by the case but I was speaking in terms of cost per can for the sake of comparison with another product. I know of a couple of places that have it for $10/can if you buy by the case.

dirty white boy
01-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Check your PMs. I have seen it cheaper by the case but I was speaking in terms of cost per can for the sake of comparison with another product. I know of a couple of places that have it for $10/can if you buy by the case.

thats the only thing bad bout this web site,...ask a question an get a sales pitch...

hpmaster
01-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Years ago, like 35, when I was becoming an educated dummy, college, one of my mechanical engineering professors said auto racing success is "engineering properly applied to the largest bank account." In other words cubic bucks beats cubic inches every time.

giffordracing
01-12-2011, 08:35 AM
No...I,m not trying to make any Money off the guy..just trying to give him another rought for his Tri-Flow...I could order it at my price shipped to me then ship to him and neither of us would be better off...But if he want to buy direct from them its $9 a can...but if you ship you mite as well buy it by the case...The guy I deal with is snowed in and isn't in today..But if you want to call him sometime this week..call
Lance
Dixie Karting
888-919-1998
Greenville,SC

Good people to deal with and also has some car parts.

Not a sales pitch just somewhere to save a dollar
If you were in Middle TN I could order it for you..but if not You can do it yourself

And they usually have case prices,but he wasn't in this morning
TRI-FLOW is a really good lube

GRTLRBITE
01-12-2011, 12:07 PM
we use out pace hiems , I grese them ,then wipe off excuse grease. and before feature i always spray them with Zep 45. and we use the higher $ moly hiems it is worth the money.

sj valley dave
01-12-2011, 06:44 PM
We've used a dry film silicone spray...It seems to work well and does not attract dirt like WD-40 does...

fastford
01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
wd40 is good for rust penetration and arthritis, it has no lubrication properties, i use a product made by schafer called pentro 90, its the best i ever used and cost about 5 bucks a can.

racer241
01-14-2011, 08:35 AM
alright sweet that penatro90 is what i just bought, definitely got rid of the squeaky car!

joedoozer
01-28-2011, 12:39 PM
What about this?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Gunk-11-oz-325-309-ml-Liquid-Wrench-dry-lubricant/_/N-25ap?counter=1&filterByKeyWord=dry+lube&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=41736_0_0_

thems20s
01-28-2011, 05:12 PM
I always spray mine out with Pennzoil Z4 after washing and then again before the car gets loaded for the track and at the track. Seems to work as good as anything.