PDA

View Full Version : late model on a open trailer

widcard22
01-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Ive seen a few latemodels on open trailers..that were 82.-84 inches wide between fenders....how wide are thease cars? What do you have to do to haul them on one of thease trailers.... if ya have pics please post.......lookin to get car and wouldnt want to buy a trailer....thks in advance.

supercomet32
01-12-2011, 09:02 AM

lazermod3
01-12-2011, 09:14 AM
we had to move our fenders 2" on each side to get the car to fit just cut the fenders off ad a peice of 2" flat stock and weld it back up. or i know guys that just take the fenders off all together.

puts the tires real close but the cars are wide if i remember you need 82" to clear the bottom of the doors on most cars. thats why they all sit up over the fender wells on a closed hauler

supercomet32
01-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Most rules state 88" of wheel width. alot of times this might mistranslate to tire width.
Minimum 102" wheelbase.

Rocky
01-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I put my chassis on an open a few days ago, no motor and it was way too wide at the front tires even with no fenders. I'm gonna have to get some narrow front tires or at least one of them. With a motor in there, I could probably winch over the tires up and on but that would be hard on the winch and I'd probably never get it back off again without taking the tires off the trailer. If it was my trailer I'd build a ramp over the wheels however it's somebody elses.

jason29a
01-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Rocky... You can still build the rampover, just make them removable. Its not hard to do and really its the only way to go. You dont wont to have to fight to load the car. These cars are wide.

talclipse
01-12-2011, 10:55 AM
If possible you definitely want to make some removable rampovers. Years ago we used front loading tires to get the car on and off a trailer. We'd have to pull the right side of the body in to haul the car. It was a pain every week having to change stuff out just to load/ unload the car (at least for us with just my dad and me there to load/ unload).

If you cannot retrofit rampovers your only real option is to use loading tire(s) and you will more than likely need to pull the right side of the body in in order to get the car past the fenders/ trailer tires.

mudderfudder
01-12-2011, 10:57 AM
On my open trailer I made it so you could slide the fenders out when loading car and after we get it all strapped down we slide them back where they need to be and use hitch pins to keep them from sliding back and forth going down the road. Just make sure that the front tires are far enough ahead of the trailer tires so that you can put the fenders back in place. Hope this helps!!

joedoozer
01-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Here is a link to a thread I started with my trailer. We don't need fenders in our state, so I just removed them. I was going to add some new pics with a tire rack, but can't figure out for the life of me how to upload a pic on this new forum.

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?167004-Homemade-Rampover-for-125

Rocky
01-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Oh I know, let's just make sure my doing this all by myself like a guy that well has no friends cause he just moved here can even get on the race track this season. the trailer can be made to work but that's my final worry. I spent a couple hours on the car tonight. Should be done with the chassis in about 2 weeks and worry about motor. Then new safety stuff then I guess I have to get it to the track...... Might be about July. Either way I'll get her there.

widcard22
01-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all the info an links......if anyone else has ideas please post ....thanks scott

RacerX10
01-13-2011, 11:25 AM
get a loading wheel / tire and put it on the right front. they are only about $40 - $45 dollars.

something like this :

http://www.socalautoparts.com/oscthumb.php?src=/images/product/601140P.jpg&w=300&h=300&f=jpg&q=95&hash=340438501f09edf7ebd5e61b56ce001d

Rocky
01-13-2011, 03:33 PM
That's a VW wheel, I don't think VW Wide 5 is the same as the Wide 5 on our cars least ways I know the studs would never fit through the holes in one. I wish they did though because my Dad has about 20 of those things.

Or does it?

dirty white boy
01-13-2011, 04:05 PM
made my loading wheels with 2 old house trailer wheels an 10 1/2 inch long pices of 3/4 od pipe,....had to grind 5 notches for clearance,...an silicone inside of wheels at wields ,..redneck lookin kinda,..cheap an works...i had it all layin around so cost me nuttun...

joedoozer
01-13-2011, 09:01 PM
A loading tire wouldn't have worked in my case. The body would have hit the trailer tires. I needed to get the car up and over.

LITE-INN
01-13-2011, 09:28 PM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dandy-Don-Klein-King-of-Dirt-Track-Racing-28/108884609144648?v=photos he might no a thing about open trailers been doing this gig for 7 decades with a open trailer and a 1974 ford pickup

waggs
01-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Have a look at this....

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/146/Used_Trailers/post/2005108/Ramp-over-dirt-late-model-trailer.html

Rocky
01-14-2011, 04:32 PM
I haven't actually considered if the body would be too wide. I have a lot of work to do before I even hang a body.

late96
01-15-2011, 07:45 AM
Rocky, We purchased a set of offset wheels from race shop for trailer and made fenders removable. Works great, just outside the law for width though havn't had any problems. Good Luck

Rocky
01-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Here is a link to a thread I started with my trailer. We don't need fenders in our state, so I just removed them. I was going to add some new pics with a tire rack, but can't figure out for the life of me how to upload a pic on this new forum.

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?167004-Homemade-Rampover-for-125

Joe! hey man that's awesome, I think I might just do it the way you did. Wouldn't cost much at all!. My buddy was talking about steel and this and that. And I was thinkin dude I'd way rather spend that money on the car.

dirty white boy
01-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Rocky, We purchased a set of offset wheels from race shop for trailer and made fenders removable. Works great, just outside the law for width though havn't had any problems. Good Luck

up to 102 inches is leagel in most states...any thing over bout 8 inch over hang sposed to be flagged as wide load,...anything wider sposed to have wide load permits from state....

RacerX10
01-15-2011, 07:44 PM
A legal late model body can only be 76 - 78" wide. That will easily fit between the fenders of any trailer with a loading tire on the front.

Check this thread :

http://www.stlracing.com/forums/showthread.php?128577-Late-model-loading-tire-needed

joedoozer
01-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Georgia has one of the narrow trailer width limits, only 8 feet. Subtract 10 inches per trailer tire and puts you right at 76 inches. So we had to go up and over the trailer tires.

Rocky: pm me your email address and I will send you some pics of a tire rack I made out of electrical conduit. Double row, holds 10 dirt late model tires and cost less than $200 :). I still can't figure out how to uplaod pics on this site since the upgrade.

Rocky
01-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Haha allright, This trailer already has a tire rack on it but I gotta see this thing. I only have one spare wheel right now Hopefully that will be different eventually.

BTW I hope this didn't seem like a hijack to the guy that started this, I just sorta did it the other day and know for sure the trailer I have access too is gonna need some help he might be in the same boat. Tomorrow and the next day I get to work on the car again. But that also means I get to spend the money again (I don't like that part as much).

widcard22
01-15-2011, 11:48 PM
Hijacked oooo no....I enjoy any and all info.....An i really appreciate it thanks everyone.

Vaughn89
01-16-2011, 10:59 PM
I built my own open trailer, I think Ive got around $1000(including wench) in it and its a pretty nice trailer. Its a camper trailer frame that i shortened and dovetailed. Its got two 3500lbs axles underneath it with brakes on both axles. The best part about it is the trailer is high enough that the trailer tires are underneath the rails so you dont have to worry about width or clearance. I took pictures of building it. If ya would like to see them PM me and ill email them to ya.