PDA

View Full Version : Maximum 4 Bar Angle

sj valley dave
01-12-2011, 06:47 PM
I was wondering if there is a maximum angle that the upper left bar should never go beyond? By lifting up the left side of the car and having the bar in the upper hole on the frame side is there an angle that if you go beyond is counter productive in forward drive? It seems like 45* would be the perfect mix between rear steer and drive, but I'd like some one who has studied this to comment! Thanks...

grt74
01-12-2011, 07:49 PM
i think your going in the right direction

Matt49
01-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Once you get past about 47 degrees, the loss in downforce becomes significant. If you like your static angles and don't like where it puts you when the car is rocked up, use your limiter chain to...well...limit it.

pmiracing
01-12-2011, 08:46 PM
I would say at the point that you see any wheel hop through slight bumps you went too far. At that point the chain has so much tension on it that the LR has become solid. You want it to be on the chain, but not so much that it doesn't give when you hit a bump.

pushpush
01-15-2011, 10:06 PM
I have noticed more and more on this forum discussions about limiters. I personally have never had any limiter of any sort on my car. Unless you count me most likely bottoming out my shocks. I suppose I don't really know how far beyond the 45 degree range I am traveling. I can tell you I hike it quite a bit. Guess my question is how much am I really leaving on the table by not limiting my travel. Doesn't lazer and some others control their "drop" < (I hate that term) with their shock placement/birdcage connection. Also, how would I prep/setup this properly at the shop. My former teamate tried it and said it "jerked" the left rear off the ground. BTW, we were very young and uneducated then. Honestly I don't see anyone in my area doing this. signed, Confused.

zeroracing
01-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Limiting the lr travel is important for a few reasons. One is too keep the lr trailing arms from going past the point at which they stop gaining forward traction, second is to keep the car consistent, thirdly is to save shocks and fourth is to limit rear steer. These may not be the only reasons just a few.

Starting with the going past the point at which the stop gaining traction, once you go past that magic point your traction begins to go down, if you go past this point in theory your leaving forward speed on the table, who knows how much at any given time but still can be some.

Second point was to keep the car consistent, if you use your shocks to limit traction, or anything mounted to the birdcage to limit traction, you "stop" will change with every bar change die to indexing of cages.

Third point was to save shocks, shocks are not designed for large peak loads of limiting travel, this is very hard on them and will cause premature wear and failure. Seen them come apart before it was not pretty.

Final point is to limit rear steer, there is also a point at which you will gain very little thrust angle but a large amount of rear steer. On heavy this can help turn car but on slick can make car loose center, or can make the car do the four wheel walk for the wall on exit. This adds up to decreased driveability in traffic along with less going forward more drifting out. Reminds me of the early 2000s mods they had like12" bars and looked like pogo sticks.

Limiting dine wrong can lift the tire but dome right can help many things overall. Hope that helps.

pushpush
01-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Thank you for the reply. In the shop do I just jack the lr until an angle finder reads 45 across the top bar and chain it?

grt74
01-19-2011, 09:59 PM
take your rr spring off the shock and put it back on the birdcage then (with your car on jack stands) jack the rr up until it gets to the travel indicater on the shaft of the shock that should get you really close(thats if there is an indicater on your shock if there is not one on there you really need to put one on this will tell you alot about what you car is doing)then check your angle and put it where you want it hope this helps almost forgot let the lr hang for those of you i got to far ahead of you can also adjust your drop there of course there are alot of other factors in what you may be trying to do also