PDA

View Full Version : Trail braking

lovinlatemodels
01-15-2011, 08:35 AM
I know this has been covered before and i have tried working on it last season but no luck. Any time i touch the brake while on the throtle the car just won't turn. Now the question would running different brake pads front and rear help with this helping not let the front grab so hard.

Dirt Man
01-15-2011, 10:17 AM
You probably have to adjust your brake bias to the rear more. Are you running any brake floaters?

pmiracing
01-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Typically when trail braking you will need a lot more rear brake and may need to loosen up the car on entry. Try loosening up entry way more then you would normally have it and you will be forced to learn.

jason29a
01-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Hey lovinlatemodels....

What part of the track are you trail braking on.. Entry, middle, exit... All of the above?

Let me tell you what I do... Some may agree or disagree, but its just works for me and my driving style. I adjust the brake different depending if im on 4 wheel or 3 wheel. Lets say the track has dried out and is slick on entry. If the car is loose in I will most likely be on 4 wheel and dialing in front brake to help keep the car under me. Now from middle out i may trail brake some to help the car hook up. I may even tap it off the corner and down the straight a bit if the exit is really slick.

Now if the track is hooked up and heavy and the car wont turn. I will probably be on 3 wheel. I will also dial more brake to the front, taking brake off the rear and giving more to the left front. And i will trail brake it using the brake pressure on the left front as a extra steering device. This allows me to keep the front wheels straighter and also stay on the throttle. And i will do it on entry and throughout the corner until the car is pointed off the exit.

If the track is really good and your set up is also really good. But the corners are just alittle to tight to flat foot. You can drag alittle brake to help slow the car just a bit and also turn you in. Allowing you to keep the RPMs and momentum up.

Thats kinda the basic of it and how i trail break. There are different factors that would of coarse come into play. Like if your loosing the front end on the slick but the rear is stuck. You can go to the 3 wheel heavy method to help get the front around. Either way its just an extra tool to use to help your car be fast on the race track.