PDA

View Full Version : How to install my seat?!?

Vaughn89
01-16-2011, 10:29 PM
I am completely lost when it comes to getting my seat mounted in my Rayburn...I don't even know where to start. Im about 6'2-6'3, 210lbs, and the size of my seat is a 17.

Can anyone someone that is around my size give me an idea on how far from the pedals and steering wheel i need to be?? and how low or high my seat needs to be off of the floorboard of the car? what angle my seat needs to be leaning back at?

hpmaster
01-17-2011, 09:01 AM
I am real close to your size, just a bit more left side weight LOL and what I do is put the seat as far back as possiable and in to the middle of the car as much as I can then adjust the peddals back to me. As for the wheel I like my elbows down by my sides. As for height my seat is about as low as I can get it cause my head is darn near to the roof. The lay back is pretty much built in. My thought is to get as much rear percentage with my rear. Like almost everything in this game it is more what you like than right or wrong.

jason29a
01-17-2011, 05:51 PM
That was pretty good advice... The only thing i could ad is that you can play with where to mount your pedals. Also you can leave the pedals in the stock mount location and get quite abit of adjustment out of the mastercylinder rods.

Im 6'2 215.... I use kirkey 16' seat 10 degree layback and fabricate my own bottom seat mount that bolts in to the side mounts on a GRT. I weld 3/8 nuts to the bottom mount so i dont have to use a wrench to tighten the bolt. I like to use the 10 degree seats because it allows me to put my own kickback in it. But like HPmaster said its all about what feel good for you.

BLAHBLAH
01-17-2011, 07:44 PM
FEW MORE TIPS TO MOUNTING THE SEAT THAT MOST PEOPLE FORGET, make sure you have a 10 or 20 degree layback, not a upriight from a sprint car, the bottom of the seat should support your hamstring section of your leg, next, make sure you have your helmet on when doing the fitment, this way you can check clearence to the rollcage and also make sure that your not going to end up staring at your feet and having to look thru your eyebrows to see where you are going, there is almost a 3 inch difference from the back of the seat to your head when your helmet is on in comparison to when its off,,,,,good luck to you:)

TPR30
01-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Why would a sprint car seat not work in a late model? I have a 10* seat now but I like sitting straight up better and a sprint seat seems to be what I would need. I was looking at getting the butler built ez full containment seat from speedway motors.

jason29a
01-23-2011, 10:54 PM
A sprint style seat will work fine... I use one. I think there more comfortable. Because even though there more upright, when lean them back alittle it tilts the bottom of the seat upwards and actully helps support your legs....

big88fan
01-23-2011, 11:12 PM
I would think twice before getting a full contaiment seat if you are a bigger guy I just cut the left side of my headrest off because it was impossible for me to fit between the headrest and the vertical window bar "only 11" between the tip of the headrest and the window bar" on my new rocket but on my old car "06 rocket" it didn't have one and I could make it work and it seems like alot of series rules are requiring it for safety

Sprint76
01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
A sprint style seat will work fine... I use one. I think there more comfortable. Because even though there more upright, when lean them back alittle it tilts the bottom of the seat upwards and actully helps support your legs....

I use a sprint seat as well, and agree that the leg support is 100% better than a lay back seat.

To the OP, we run Rockets, and I just put the back of my seat as close to the rear of the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit as possible, then slide the bottom forward (leaning the seat back) until you get the head clearance you need from the rollcage. Once you get the seat positioned correctly, weld up your rear and bottom brackets. Most likely, you will have to make custom brackets.

After you get the seat mounted, make sure the belts are not pivoting on it. Integrate a steel bar into the bracket, or welded on the frame for the belts to pivot on and go directly to your shoulders without touching the seat.

ask0329
02-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Does anyone use the kirkey side seat mounts or something to that effect? I guess where I'm going with this is, does or should a seat be bolted through the bottom to a rail or bar? Or are side mounts enough along with mounting the back? I have an IMCA mod and the seat rules are fairly simple but yet I want to be safe. I'm trying to drop my seat to the bottom of the frame rail to gain some head clearance but there is a cross bar in the way that the previous owner had his seat mounted to. I dont want to remove it then weld another bar to the bottom of the frame and that would be the lowest pointon the car. I'd like to notch the bar and use side mounts or do away with the bar all together and use side mounts. The bar doesnt appear to be a structure thing as there is a bar for and aft about 6" from it on each side.

jason29a
02-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Does anyone use the kirkey side seat mounts or something to that effect? I guess where I'm going with this is, does or should a seat be bolted through the bottom to a rail or bar? Or are side mounts enough along with mounting the back? I have an IMCA mod and the seat rules are fairly simple but yet I want to be safe. I'm trying to drop my seat to the bottom of the frame rail to gain some head clearance but there is a cross bar in the way that the previous owner had his seat mounted to. I dont want to remove it then weld another bar to the bottom of the frame and that would be the lowest pointon the car. I'd like to notch the bar and use side mounts or do away with the bar all together and use side mounts. The bar doesnt appear to be a structure thing as there is a bar for and aft about 6" from it on each side.

If its something that the previous owner added I would just cut it out.

gadirtracer
02-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Another tip...
I like to mount my seat pointing slightly to the left. It puts more weight on my back rather than my hip/thighs and ribs when the car is in "yaw".

BLAHBLAH
02-21-2011, 07:58 PM
I GUESS I SHOULD have worded it differently, when using a sprint upright seat you will have to LEAN it back to get the comfort feeling and leg support of a LAYBaCK 10-20 degree seat. so one more time again its easier to use a 10-20 degree layback seat. but either will work ,,,but one is alittle more work

aittytexaxd6351
03-12-2017, 06:01 PM
All new 2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG C 43 (https://drive-v.com/2017/03/04/2017-mercedes-benz-amg-c-43/)