PDA

View Full Version : Electric fan on SS?

Dirtman29
01-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Considering using an electric fan on my SS, I use one in my mustang mini with no cooling problems. Any advice on pulley size, restriction, water pump, a good fan type, etc.

383 engine (approx. 12.5-1 comp.), currently has 1-1 pulleys, hi-flo alum. water pump, 31" afco dual pass rad.
I plan on opening up the nosepeice & making an air scoop at the bottom of rad., same as my mini. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

pickel
01-25-2011, 08:17 AM
back when i ran electric fans I ran two..1 to 1 pullys ... i had 2 switches so i could turn off one if i need to like on cold nites..the only prob i ran into was if you had to sit in line for a bit or very long races the battery was weak.. I started runn a alt and never had a prob after that..sence then i always run a alt jus for peace of mind .. I run my alt off the rear end so the if the belt comes off it wont take out my water pump or power steering..:cool:

fattboyee
01-27-2011, 12:16 PM
where can you run electric fan? by our rules there illeagl

stock car driver
01-27-2011, 08:42 PM
worked great for me on pavement.

I tried to no avail to get it to work on my dirt car. I would run a 4 blade gm type fan.

The hp loss from the mechanical fan isnt going to be enough to warrant cooking motors trying to get electric to work.

I dnf every race even heat races when I was trying to run electric. I pulled off at 220-240.

Dirtman29
01-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the advice, was just wondering if it had been tried with any success. And I was having trouble with fan/shroud/radiator lining up right in the car. Got it figured out w/ mech. fan.

jasonmischke
01-27-2011, 09:14 PM
I run an electric fan and a 19"afco 4 blade mechanical. The electric to cool the car after the race while idleing through the pits. I also run an alternator, if you do not run an alternator your car is not running to its full potential unless you have a 16v battery. It takes 14 volts to properly operate an hei coil. Also stock car driver.. why would you pull off at 220 degrees, if your running a good racing radiator cap 28-30lbs the water wont even boil until it hits around 240.. with the proper cooling set up and good oil, its safe to race a small block to 230 degrees, as long as you cool it before shutting it down.

stock car driver
01-27-2011, 10:16 PM
I run an electric fan and a 19"afco 4 blade mechanical. The electric to cool the car after the race while idleing through the pits. I also run an alternator, if you do not run an alternator your car is not running to its full potential unless you have a 16v battery. It takes 14 volts to properly operate an hei coil. Also stock car driver.. why would you pull off at 220 degrees, if your running a good racing radiator cap 28-30lbs the water wont even boil until it hits around 240.. with the proper cooling set up and good oil, its safe to race a small block to 230 degrees, as long as you cool it before shutting it down.

To each his own.

It was 2004 even then when I knew it wasnt going to work I was willing to accept it and pull off.

I dont cool my motors before shutting down, I dont race them hot. 210 is down more hp than you can win without in my area.