PDA

View Full Version : Old style Vega clutch set up.

Moldymulldoon
01-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Hey. Rules state a 17 pound minimum on flywheel. I have a vega flywheel which is close to the minimum weight. I plan on machining down the outer step [ .185 ] and having it ground enough to clean up the hot spots.
I also use a 9 inch clutch plate. old style 6 cylinder pressure plate.

3300# car 358 2bbl .450 lift cam rule. maybe 375 HP on a good night perfect air.. ect ect ect. 6:00 final beginning of season... 6:20-6:33's later on. 3 speed saginaw- 2 speed for specials and 'big money nights.
My question is;

What out there, is the lightest stock pressure plate [ stock ] produced?
Kids at the parts house cannot find parts needed, as they need to know if it has AC and power brakes. Parts books and cross referencing seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur.
I appreciate the read and thank-you for the help.

Moldy
old beater hobby car.

roybeckett13j
01-25-2011, 03:45 PM
I have a clutch out of a 90's 6 cylinder s-10 in my car. Its as light as the "lightweight" flywheel i bought from day motorsports, which cost me MUCH more than this one did.

Moldymulldoon
01-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks... got it written down. Did it have AC and power brakes??? Ha ! Why would it matter if it had AC or power brakes? Same (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) clutch assembly.. bastages.

joeltjen
02-22-2011, 09:47 PM
waaaaaayyyyyy back when, we used to run a pressure plate from an old AMC ( 6 cly gremlin or javelin i think) was VERY light if you have to run an oem style clutch. goes on with 3- 3/8" bolts so you have to have flywheel re-drilled and tapped ( we did it ourselves) we found a disc that fit std chevy 3 speed shaft and the flywheel we used was from early 60's chevyII with the 6 cly engine.

Moldymulldoon
02-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Well. I am kinda from WAYYY back when. ::cough ::: I'll go troll evilbay and see what's there.

Thank-you for the info!

dirt2
02-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Guy's not wanting to mess up your day but keep in
mind that a lot of these old type flywheel & clutch
setup deals will blow up with you. A blown flywheel
is a very bad deal. The feet you save may be your own.
The life could be yours or a friend.
dirt2

carowner73
01-19-2012, 12:57 AM
I think I still have a complete setup of vega flywheel, clutch and pressurre plate, might be interested in getting rid of it.