PDA

View Full Version : automatic transmissions

mr.slidewayz
01-26-2011, 11:12 AM
does anyone make a reliable automatic trans these days / i see a few guys trying it in my area and they are bad fast , but they seem to be broke down most of the time . i tried one a long time ago and it didnt last long either . whats up ?

Dirtman29
01-26-2011, 03:37 PM
I used a TH350 in my SS for years, have it rebuilt using a 4WD kit, makes it heavier duty, then use a low stall convertor. Fill it with synthetic fluid & run an external cooler. I got 3+ seasons out of them. BUT the downsides of the automatic are if the battery or starter craps out, your parked for the night, no way to start it up. The other thing is the planetarys in the TH350 tend to break AFTER a hard impact, some right away, I remember one was 2 wks. later when it broke. Gear it right and they will run just fine.
I never used a powerglide, so cant help you there.

hot_rod
01-26-2011, 04:48 PM
I agree with Dirtman, pretty much all we run is the turbo350. My dad runs an tranny shop in town, he rebuilds them pretty much stock replacement stuff. we run a finned cooler that is probably 1ft by 1 1/2ft and they seem to stay in tack for the most part. when you run them in high gear, its a 1:1 ratio. the only problem that we have really had is the bellhousing cracking with a hard impact. my brother was running soft engine mounts and a solid tranny mount, that cracked the bellhousing pretty quick (dont recommend that at all). everyonce in a while we will get a bad case from a core that wont allow it to shift from first. we use stock stall convertors. the only powerglide we have ran gave us more troubles and breakdowns that any turbo350 ever has.

fattboyee
01-26-2011, 05:28 PM
we run powerglieds here in the south and never have any problems with them. we have the bump start valve in ours just in case. i have ran them 13 years in camaros and have had it rebuilt every 2 seasons i run full synthetic moble 1 fluid with external cooler and have only busted one housing. oures are built with the basic kit from bushore. i like the 1.82 with high gear removed. there are probably 30 to 35 of the 40 or 44 cars at our track that run glieds.

hughes25
01-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Bushore Transmisssions

(515)432-8130

Hurst390
01-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Heat is the enemy of a tranny clutch..I've had good results with the raybestos blue clutches..

backspace
01-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Phipps Racing Transmissions,,,sorry I don't have a phone number,,but someone around the Charleston area may have it.

ToddSmith16
01-31-2011, 05:43 PM
Phipps 217-348-0432.....easy and nice to do business with who provides a quality product!

Verdoorn Racing
02-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Bushore Transmisssions = (515)432-8130

Have been running them for a number of years with no problems.

steveshawjr
02-01-2011, 01:18 PM
when we ran autos it was a th350 (turbo 350 as most guys call em ) had good an bad luck with them but they where always just a junk yard deal we had as a sponsor this is back when they could be found everywhere as soon as you walked in the back yard of the auto wreckers

we always got at least 1 season out of any of them we used back before the 9" days and stright thur gearing we always ran the in low gear with a 2.73 for the track we ran with great success but still after about 1 season like that there where toast some we got a bit more out of them

the best one we ever got had about 3" of grease on it and after that one we only took the messys ones lol

nice thing about the glides you can get some better kits for them cheeper than the 350 ( clutchless valve bodie) and a good dummy convertor and have a light weight stright thur trany it seems to be the hot ticket all over now adays in classes that have to run automatics