PDA

View Full Version : lf shock and spring question

51rocket51
01-27-2011, 08:08 PM
our team seams to ignore the lf of our car..meaning we neve adjust on this area
of the chassis..

i see some mounting shock in the inside hole and some the outside upper hole..what is gained by moving shock in or out.

will increasing compression and decreasing rebound help keep car on the rf?
thanks in advance for any help on this subject guys

junebug
01-27-2011, 11:38 PM
if you run more rebound and or less compression in the lf it seems to help the car rotate in the center and not be so throttle tight......ive had a tie down on my lf for the last half of the year and really liked it.....how many of you guys are doin this too, or am i nuts

oh and not sure on mounting location it probably holds the car off that corner or lets it fall on it more depending on which hole its in

F22 RAPTOR
01-28-2011, 10:13 AM
our team seams to ignore the lf of our car..meaning we neve adjust on this area
of the chassis..

i see some mounting shock in the inside hole and some the outside upper hole..what is gained by moving shock in or out.

will increasing compression and decreasing rebound help keep car on the rf?
thanks in advance for any help on this subject guys

Changing the mounting location of the coil-over changes the spring rate at that corner. Leaning it in makes it softer, leaning it out makes it stiffer. As far as the other fellows input on tieing down the LF, that would seem to be counter productive to turning the center better since it would tend to lift or carry the LF and not let it help turn the car. JMO

poppy
01-28-2011, 10:20 AM
if you are not hiking the LF off the ground would it not make sense to use a chain there adjusted to be at length just before the shock is fully extended, thus saving some wear and tear on the shock being fully extended abruptly.

F22 RAPTOR
01-28-2011, 10:26 AM
if you are not hiking the LF off the ground would it not make sense to use a chain there adjusted to be at length just before the shock is fully extended, thus saving some wear and tear on the shock being fully extended abruptly.

If you are not hiking it off the ground, why would you need a chain limiter? Unlike the LR, the LF isn't being forcibly extended by axle thrust. The only thing working on the Lf is gravity and what ever energy is in the spring, but if its not lifting off the ground then its not necessary, just et the shock and spring do there intended jobs. JMO

poppy
01-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the info, kind of clears that up.

junebug
01-28-2011, 03:54 PM
tieing the left front down lets the rr lift when on the gas, that makes rr drive and frees the car up from center off, that was my reasoning for that, but theres a million different results for every adjustment, so theres prolly more to it then just that

F22 RAPTOR
01-28-2011, 05:18 PM
tieing the left front down lets the rr lift when on the gas, that makes rr drive and frees the car up from center off, that was my reasoning for that, but theres a million different results for every adjustment, so theres prolly more to it then just that

So your saying your RR lifts under accel, even with all the G's going toward the RR.... I'd have to see that in action, it kinda defies physics. To each his own I guess.

junebug
01-28-2011, 05:34 PM
there are some rear suspension videos on youtube....watch wat the rr does, it drops on entry til u pick up the gas then lifts once your on the throttle

sobe92
01-28-2011, 05:38 PM
the rr can lift quite a bit even coming un seated from the coil over kit.

junebug
01-28-2011, 05:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65hOTt4EDvA

heres a video that kinda shows it, watch which direction the birdcages indexes....it moves away from rr spring the majority of the time

Matt49
01-28-2011, 06:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65hOTt4EDvA

heres a video that kinda shows it, watch which direction the birdcages indexes....it moves away from rr spring the majority of the time

Whoever is driving that car isn't setting it into the corner so when they come off, the bars are at static (ride height) levels so sure there is going to be thrust on the RR. So bad example.
Anyway, here's my opinion on LF shock: By increasing compression on the LF shock you are slowing down weight transfer to that corner under braking which should help the car turn due to the increase in RF weight (it has to go somewhere) as weight moves forward. Decreasing compression on the LF shock will allow weight to transfer to that corner faster which will "de-wedge" the car and make it tighter on corner entry.
LF shock is a fine tuning thing if you ask me compared to spring rate. LF spring rate is one of the few things you can change that will effect entry and have little to no effect on exit. My 2 cents...take it for what it's worth.

junebug
01-28-2011, 07:22 PM
shouldnt weight coming off the rr free up entry ?

F22 RAPTOR
01-28-2011, 08:21 PM
If the car is lifting the RR on accel I'd bet it's more a side effect of the axle thrust in the LR pinning the RF and subsequently lifting the rear of the car and the 5th coil only amps the problem. Just my 2 cents, but a setup like this probably isn't balanced or as fast as it could be. I've seen some cars lift the entire rear of the car on exit, but they were never fast. To each his own, but this sounds like a 3 wheel setup and 4 are always faster in my view.

junebug
01-28-2011, 09:49 PM
not only is liftin the rr not a 3 wheeling setup it drives the lf down......if you put lot of angle in the rr upper it makes lift, just like the lr does, when the rr lifts it drives the lf into the ground more than if the car was falling over onto the rr....so its kind of the anti 3 wheeling setup

F22 RAPTOR
01-28-2011, 10:54 PM
not only is liftin the rr not a 3 wheeling setup it drives the lf down......if you put lot of angle in the rr upper it makes lift, just like the lr does, when the rr lifts it drives the lf into the ground more than if the car was falling over onto the rr....so its kind of the anti 3 wheeling setup

I see. Still unclear, if your using bar angle to lift the RR, then why tie down the LF? Good luck.

junebug
01-28-2011, 11:49 PM
keeps car off rr on entry and lets it keep more of a static type attitude......so the car doesnt go through 4-5 inchs of travel.....it basically gets a certain attude and keep it all the way around the track......tryin to keep rr from falling down so fast on entry basically

Matt49
01-29-2011, 10:03 AM
shouldnt weight coming off the rr free up entry ?

Yes but where did I say that it wouldn't?