PDA

View Full Version : 7.5 disk brake set up

fast90mini
01-28-2011, 11:22 AM
running 3/8 asphault track in florida, just bought a new mini stock car and it has a 8 inch rear in it now with disk brakes, it is 2 inches narrower than the front, wanting to change it out to a 7.5 and put disk brakes on the 7.5, any ideas on where to get the parts to change it over or ideas on the 8 inch on how to make it wider, looked for wheel spacers and can't seem to find what we need, looked for other post on here but did't find any GOOD ideas on the rear end swap. anyone done this before and where did you buy the parts, thanks

Dirtman29
01-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Wider offset wheels on both rears or shallower fronts would be much easier with the 8" rear you have now. Did you see this car race before you bought it? If it seemed to handle good I wouldnt mess with it too much, JMO. If you widen the rear 1" on each side (to match front width), I doubt you would tell much of a difference on the track.

Headhunter
01-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Old school of thought was to keep the rear narrower than the front to free up a car. I would try it if it was set up that way, Not always is the new things the best.

RACEMAN
01-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Along with Headhunter, my rear track width is 1" narrower than the front. Also offset the rear to the right so that the RR runs in the same track as the RF. Supposed to help turning but I don't have enough time in my car yet to know for sure that it's working. My mentor does this on his Sportsman car and it works for him.

Alvin
01-30-2011, 02:13 AM
Its good that you buy mini2 with disk breaks and the 7.5 disk have great quality to stop the car soon are your breaks doing work correctly?

dig dog
02-01-2011, 02:36 PM
git a 7.5 out of a 1994 and up have disk

Axis Racing
02-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Actually, widening the rear track width will loosen the car up... By running the rear narrower than the front you are TIGHTENING it up. By offsetting the rear-end, you would be loosening the car under throttle, and helping it to roll into the corner a bit more stable.

Kind of depends on the spring rate and dampening used, and the resulting amount of body roll allowed...

Starting with a square track width is a decent starting point as long as you are able to accomplish it within the rules. If you have to run the same width wheels on all 4 corners, and your rear-end isn't as wide as the front end, offset the rear housing to square up the right side and don't worry about the left side.

Axis Racing
02-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Another thing to think about, is that as you increase the rear track width, you will need more stagger in the tires... You will also tend to need a bit more spring for a given amount of body roll.

steveshawjr
02-02-2011, 04:51 PM
we just converted 4 rear ends 7.5 to disk
parts we used
ford turbo coupe rotors
gm metric calipers
metric pads
allstar metric caliper weld on mounts for a 9" rear end

had to modifie the mount take about 1.25" out of the side that welds to the rear end to make work with 13" wheel if your running 14"or15" you may get away with it without modding the mount took us about 1hr to do the first and by the 4th one we had it done in 10 mins