PDA

View Full Version : Tie down car on a open trailer

street28
01-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Would running snap hook ratchet tie downs over tires 2, 3, 4 tires? or tieing to rear axle and some where under front be better? We had winch cable and ties over LF and RR but are questioning it some. We have wondered if the cycling of the suspension as we drive would be controlled by tieing to the frame. Any solid advice?

merc123
01-30-2011, 08:05 PM
My car is 2900#+. I have the winch hooked to rear axe and taught but not holding the car, 1500# ratchet strap that goes through both front bars and hook to the front of the trailer, and 3000# ratchet strap through rear bars and hooked into d-rings on trailer bed. Then I have 3 chains. I have trailer safety chain I hook to the frame then do the d-ring in the back and another 1500# chain that hooks into the center slats. I use that one primarily to hold my ramps because I slide them under the fuel cell on the trailer but I also chain the car with it for added protection. Then I use another chain from the front bars to the front d-ring. I have a stock tranny so I put it in a gear also to help hold it. I still have some forward/backward movement though but it should stay on the trailer and my suspension stays under pressure the whole time.

It really seems like overkill but after reading the story of the LM coming off the trailer and hitting a motorcyclist, and my buddy's coming off the trailer in front of the track I'll just save the embarassment and chain the heck out of it!

zeke23z
01-31-2011, 12:37 PM
i use 3 ratchet straps both rear one front going to D rings,get car where you want it tighten straps back off cable a little.You dont want anything holding the suspension down.

charcoal01
01-31-2011, 04:10 PM
you dont want to tie directly to frame because as the car bounces up and down while going down the road, it'll settle and loosen the straps holding the car down. i usually strap down two over the rear end and two on the a arms. always stays tight.