PDA

View Full Version : Axis , teeter totter,this could get deep ! Maybe

1Blacksheep
01-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Which do most of you prefer ? A car that teeters on the LF to RR axis (RR dominate)or a car that teeters the RF to LR axis (LR dominate wedged up) ? I prefer a car that teeters left to right on the roll center evenly ballanced ! Its not always the fastest way on Dirt tho.(in my opinion)Unless your runnin 40+ laps.

1Blacksheep
01-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Big secret or over the head ?

dirttrackrocker
01-31-2011, 07:41 PM
I like a car that pivots on the RF tire, if that makes sense?

Dirtrunner35
01-31-2011, 08:05 PM
What is the roll center ? lol

1Blacksheep
02-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Rotate on the RF ! Completely understand that . Thanks for input, my driver likes that also. ;):cool:

missile07
02-01-2011, 03:51 PM
On the RF thing....how high of wedge and low of percentage are you talking? I like to feel the RR alot but that just doesnt seem to be the fastest way around

zachmckenzieracing
02-05-2011, 03:56 AM
i have read some crazy things in my day, but reading "what is roll center" on a race car forum has to be one of the worst. I do hope that the person who said that does not race. If the person does, educate yourself please.

Dirtrunner35
02-05-2011, 06:44 PM
OK, I said it. So tell me why the roll center is so important? Educate me.

racin6mod
02-06-2011, 10:45 AM
dirtrunner35 the front rollcenter location determines how the wt transfers in the frontend of a racecar and how much the chambers will change for the lf and rf wheels. each type of race requires a certain rollcenter location based on the type of racing dirt or ashalt and what kind of tracks ther on high banked or flat.your front rollcenter and your rear rollcenters determine the roll axis.

BCR
02-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Wow just what I was wondering myself. How and what the rear roll center affects.
There are alot of people NEW to racing and just moving up to a class were these adjustments are now adjustable so keep in mind you were once NEW too zachmckenzieracing !
Just so you know. I am a auto tech by trade and the best tool in my box is INFO !!!!!!
I help so many people on IATN.NET that it blows my mind how they fix cars for a living. But I do remember when it was ME looking for the info many yrs ago. SO I HELP.

So sorry ZACH but thats a crappy tude.
but hey, its racing right just have FUNNNN for now.

I am asking about the rear and Jbar roll centers cause I need to learn from moving up from a camaro pure stock. never had that ability so i never learned it. Now I am in a limited mod and unless I am on the gas 3/4 or more the car pushed and need to learn about it more. I could just post up all my readings and be TOLD what to change or learn more and make adjustments myself and figure it out. I LOVE TO LEARN MORE everyday so it keeps me interested and want to keep learning.

Dirtrunner35
02-06-2011, 05:48 PM
dirtrunner35 the front rollcenter location determines how the wt transfers in the frontend of a racecar and how much the chambers will change for the lf and rf wheels. each type of race requires a certain rollcenter location based on the type of racing dirt or ashalt and what kind of tracks ther on high banked or flat.your front rollcenter and your rear rollcenters determine the roll axis.

Roll center is the result of the motion not the cause and the geometry can only be used to point at the roll center NOT CAUSE THE MOTION. I know what it does and what it doesn't do.

People think the roll center is so important and doesn't even know what it is. Setting static roll center doesn't tell you where it's at unless you have data acquisition (or at least looked at some date) you have no idea what the car is really doing.

I think camber gain is more important, tires temps.

1Blacksheep
02-06-2011, 06:22 PM
So far post 3 and 6 are on track with the question . :)

Dirtrunner35
02-06-2011, 07:34 PM
This could be a fun topic for debate in these boring winter months. You said.

The roll center debate has already been covered on another thread , That's fine. I just want to know why people think the roll center is so important?

Just wondering.

I prefer a car that teeters left to right on the roll center evenly balanced . Could you explain what you mean by this? Thanks.

Dirtrunner35
02-06-2011, 07:56 PM
You must have Bob Bolles set up program??

Dirtrunner35
02-06-2011, 08:07 PM
So how do you know where your roll center is , static or dynamic ?

racin6mod
02-06-2011, 10:23 PM
determines and cause mean to different thing.

Dirtrunner35
02-07-2011, 07:43 PM
I understand about roll axis :rolleyes: On roll centers, how do you know where to set it ? What I mean, if I'm building a new car, how do i know where to start?

I looked for your debate on roll centers and couldn't find it.

1Blacksheep
02-07-2011, 07:58 PM
If you understand what I am asking then which do you prefer ? If you are seeking roll center knowledge start your own thread with the question !

Mr. Smith
02-08-2011, 05:34 PM
It depends on the track, rough or slick! Slick track rf in the dirt and the left rear 4 foot of split in the fender well LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!

On a rough track RR buried in the fender well and both front wheels 4 foot off the ground wide open LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats just what I see every week at the local tracks we race at !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1cln_sdime
02-09-2011, 12:14 AM
I agree with that to a point on a rough track on r car we dont like a crazy amount of lift and keep all 4 on the gound, basicly a more nutral car to soak up the bumps

13mracing
02-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Left fnt in the stars . Always worksfor me

1Blacksheep
02-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Well at least some understand ! ;):cool:

fatman_74
02-12-2011, 11:25 PM
i like to be up on the right front

proped
03-07-2011, 08:08 PM
So how do you know where your roll center is , static or dynamic ?

I use my pull down rig.

proped
03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Roll center is the result of the motion not the cause and the geometry can only be used to point at the roll center NOT CAUSE THE MOTION. I know what it does and what it doesn't do.

People think the roll center is so important and doesn't even know what it is. Setting static roll center doesn't tell you where it's at unless you have data acquisition (or at least looked at some date) you have no idea what the car is really doing.

I think camber gain is more important, tires temps.

How do you track your migration? Since i can change control arm pickup points and lengths which move my roll center static and dynamic locations to any place i choose, and keep my camber gain a constant, and notice a significant change in handling, why is camber gain so much more important? Just asking.