PDA

View Full Version : setting lash to zero in ford 2300?

that dude
01-31-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm venturing into the world of setting up my own solid head now and had a quick question about lash:

in a Street SBC pushrod motor, i would adjust adjust the last tighter until i started feeling drag on the pushrod while spinning the push rod back and forth, to help determine zero lash...

what are you guys using to aid in determining zero lash in a ford 2300 SOHC with a solid lift adjusters?

Should I just snug it up till they don't wiggle, or back them off a hair after that point?

millerlt3
01-31-2011, 07:30 PM
you could put a dial indicater on the follower bring it up by hand until you see the indicater stops moving. Then tighten the lock nut and make sure the indicater reads the same.

drtlvr
01-31-2011, 07:44 PM
Put a dial on the retainer and tighten the adjuster till the dial starts to move. Back up a little from there and you'll get close.

steveshawjr
02-01-2011, 12:57 PM
0 lash on a solid cam ? sounds like troubel to me with no room to allow growth from heat say bye-bye cam lobes , than bye-bye berrings than bye-bye motor

i would go with what the cam specs should be 10-20 thou in most cases

even in a v8 with solid cam and liffter you sould have clearance unless its a hyd cam & lifter than 0 sounds right

seems like you have been lucky to me

what is the cam specs i would go with that

that dude
02-01-2011, 04:41 PM
S.Shaw

I'm not setting lash in the cam for running purposes, i never mentioned anything about running the engine that way.
i'm trying to find zero lash to check PTV clearance and verify cam timing with something outside of an E-bar.

in a v8 with a solid lifter and rocker set to zero lash,
i would assume you have to always "Zero" the lash to find true PTV clearance and to verify my true degrees when setting cam timing as well.
I just needed to know what was considered zero in these OHC engines. I generally go by feel in the pushrod on a V8 motor when finding zero. But these engines don't have pushrods so I was looking for ideas and if you guys had some similar way of doing it by feel for the OHC followers.
And with a hydraulic head on the SOHC engine it looks on esslinger site, like i need to still put in solid lifter w/ serration ground down and still have to set at zero lash when degreeing the cam and it would make sense to do it to find PTV clearance as well.
--The tech pages I'm looking at never mentions anything about how they are determining that lash is truly set zero.

Regardless, I will just go the safe route and use an indicator on the retainer like mentioned above

drtlvr
02-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Use the dial. Hydraulics are set by a solid adjuster at zero lash to get the lift and wear pattern. After lift is set, preload on the lifter is set .020-.050 between cam and follower with lifter TOTALY collapsed.