PDA

View Full Version : 4 inch off set wheel on the rf of a mustang

29 avenger
02-03-2011, 08:16 PM
I have an 86 mustang with a thunderbird lca and was wondering if I could run a 4" offset wheel on the rf and a 3" on the rr to keep them in line going to order wheels soon 13 x 8 and dont want to order a beadlock Im not going to use Thanks

Dirtman29
02-03-2011, 09:13 PM
The purpose of the Tbird LCA is to throw the RF wheel out, the wheel offsets you are considering defeats that purpose. I run the Tbird LCA and it helps handling (especially if car is loose). You want that RF out further than the RR. JMO

29 avenger
02-03-2011, 09:40 PM
I thought that the thunderbird lca was to help gain camber I have also heard these car are almost always tight that is why I was thinking about evening the wheels up I use to have a nova street stock and when I would put a 2" on the rr and a 3" on the rf it would get so loose Thanks

84Dave
02-04-2011, 02:49 PM
If you're racing on pavement, you want the RR tire contact patch in-line/following the RF tire contact patch. Then if the race car is excessively tight or loose, you have something else wrong with the setup. And if the Rules permit, do your best to rid the front geometry of bump-steer & Ackermann. And make certain the rear end is 'square' in the chassis. One final check........ check the REAR toe! It should be very nearly equal front-rear on the tires. If it's not....... something is bent. Could be rim(s) or axle tube(s). -Dave-

Dirtman29
02-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I should have said it serves a dual purpose, camber adj. and getting the RF out some. But you can get more camber by notching out the strut towers where the 3 mounting bolts come through the top of the tower. I race dirt so it will be diffrent on pavement, and I cant help ya there.

29 avenger
02-05-2011, 06:52 AM
This is on dirt also just now working on building it so not sure what will have yet thanks

dave41
02-05-2011, 10:33 AM
every inch of offset on wheel is another 20 lbs. of leverage on spring. makes it weaker. inset makes it stronger. tuning with wheels.