PDA

View Full Version : Block breather hole baffle ....

jatchis
02-06-2011, 07:55 AM
I recently purchased a 2300 Ford block that had all the necessary machine work already completed. Trouble is, the baffle on the underside of the block breather hole is not there.

What is the best way to remove this from one of our "junk" blocks, and install it in this new one. My first thought was to drill out the heads on the retainers (or rivets, or whatever they are) and tap the holes on the new block, and then use screws to hold it in place. But there has to be a way to remove those retainers, and if so, can they be reused? If they can't, where would I go to get new ones?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John

Dirtman29
02-06-2011, 09:59 AM
I had to do the same thing, they are like rivets and cant be reused. I re-riveted mine and havent had any problems, but you need some long steel small headed rivets to grip it good. May have to drill the holes a bit deeper also. Tapping the holes would work as well.

PitManArm
02-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Those retainers are just fluted pins. The easiest way I found to get them out is to use a sharp chisel and get under the head to pry it out. Once they start to mve they come out pretty easy. I have reused them with a dab of epoxy for insurance. There isn't a lot of pressure or weight being held by them, but the vibrations of these engines at speed can loosen almost anything.

I have no idea whether new ones are available.