PDA

View Full Version : long LR spring

4bangerhotrod
02-06-2011, 06:02 PM
has anyone tryed running a 20in 100lb or a light 16in spring on a mustang. I know alot of people like this setup on the metric street stocks just wondering how it would work on a mustang.
thanks,
4bangerhotrod

car62
02-15-2011, 12:51 PM
it is just a "crutch" for people that want the car to turn and dont know how to properly set it up...all you are doing is coil binding the left rear so the car rotates once you get back on the gas....the problem with coil binding is it becomes unpredictable and is not consistant.

oldracing2
02-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Log on to "Circle Track" magazine, click chassis and to an article by "Boles" about setting up and fixing suspension problems. Maybe that will shed some light about
springs on flat tracks vs banked. Hope it will help.

charcoal01
02-15-2011, 03:22 PM
not the point of running a longer, lighter spring but i wont go down that road.

return to dirt
02-16-2011, 12:23 PM
4banger, there are a couple of posts in the dirt stock section about using longer springs. see if they answer your questions.

olin

FLYNBRYAN
02-16-2011, 07:21 PM
If you think the lr spring is not staying in contact with the top spring seat then yes . a ligher spring rate that was taller would work if you could acheive the ride height you need and correct lr bite.

Dirtrunner35
02-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Ok, why do you think you need this longer spring? Where are your rear springs located, on axle or trailing arms? What is the lb of your springs now?

A longer, SOFTER spring may be in coil bind or maybe not. Depends on the car and how it's set up.

A longer ,SOFTER spring puts more dynamic cross/ left rear in the car IF you have rebound in the left rear. But it might make a push in the car.

Don't be a monkey see-monkey do. lol. Some people like it and some don't.

racerman
02-17-2011, 05:35 AM
has anyone tryed running a 20in 100lb or a light 16in spring on a mustang. I know alot of people like this setup on the metric street stocks just wondering how it would work on a mustang.
thanks,
4bangerhotrod

The longest spring that will fit in my car is 12" because of the screw jack. I now have a 12" 175 in the l/r and 11" in r/r. No difference in handling between 2 11" springs. Street stocks need more forward bite so I think what they do is put the longer, lighter springs in to help the car bite off the corner. You need to use what YOU like.