PDA

View Full Version : Purging P/S of air

washeduptoo
02-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Is there a fail proof way of purging the air from a p/s system, would loosen a fitting work? Its a rear mounted tandem pump with all the hoses, brand new and brand new 12-1 Sweet steering box.Thanks

HEAVY DUTY
02-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Just take the lid off the tank and turn the steering box back and forth all the way from one side to the other.It is better to do it with the drag link unhooked so the steering box can go all the way to its internal stops.The air bubbles will go to the can and dissapate. The engine does not have to be running.

washeduptoo
02-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks Mr. Adams. That is what we thought but it all seems stiff and I was thinking it might be air. Didn't try the unhooked part though, might need to go down the dirt road to see if it will loosen up some. Thanks again.

powerslide
02-07-2011, 04:15 PM
may have to bring it up to about 2500 rpm if its a kse pump

washeduptoo
02-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks will try that. Will the steering be stiff at idle with these pumps and at higher rpm turn smooth? Haven't been out of the shop yet with the weather down here the last week.Thanks

mcveyracing
02-07-2011, 09:43 PM
We run a KRC pump off the bellhousing and it felt very stiff at low RPM's, almost like there was no power assist at all. The KRC pumps have a change-able flow fitting that can be changed to make it easier or harder to turn. So we bumped it up one size and it made it a bit easier at low RPM without being too easy at speed.

powerslide
02-07-2011, 09:56 PM
yes almost like no power steering in pits and idling. this is compunded when running the 605 box

washeduptoo
02-08-2011, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I will pass these along. Thanks again.

washeduptoo
02-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Well, we tried the unhooking the pitman and turned it to internals stops, didn't help. Tried over 2500 rpm in shop, didn't help. Finally the weather let us get it outside on the dirt road and turned it pretty good, that didn't help. It must not be air or the rpm. I guess we'll put the old steering box on to elimate that and go from there. Anyone have any trouble with the sweet steering 12-1 with a quickner? We have the hose to the pump running down hill without a swag in the hoses. Any more ideas, does anyone know what pressures these pumps are suppose to put out(it looks to be working). Guess we'll have to give Sweet and KSE a call Monday to see what they say. Thanks

HEAVY DUTY
02-13-2011, 01:36 PM
If it is stiff at low RPM and gets easier as the RPM goes up ,it is a volume problem.The quicker the steering the more volume of fluid is needed. sweet makes a high volume pump for a steering quickener application that helps the low RPM stiffness.

washeduptoo
02-13-2011, 02:21 PM
I was looking at there site and saw that when using a steering quickner it has to run a different valving of .2 or the .185. Our chassis builder is the one who ordered it for us, not sure what valve it is. Not at the shop where car is, is there a number on the box that will tell us what valve it is. I saw on the site has a number, not sure if its on box or not. Thanks Mr. Adams.

not clamped up
02-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Stephen,
I ran into this problem earlier this year first time its ever happened and I don't know if its your problem,but here goes: somehow the quickener got full of water which made a greasy muddy mess,we was lucky to find the problem because we were setting the frontend,when the motors running its hard to here the bearings making noise and we just assumed it was a little stiff because of being new,anyway the water got in there and made rust on the bearings and a think mud paste,after ordering new bearings we just kept on cleaning on it and after 4 hrs got it working like its suppose to,like I said don't know if thats your problem but it only takes a couple of minutes to take it apart and check it and that is the first time i've ever had a problem like that with a quickner.
Dave

washeduptoo
02-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Its a new quickner also, everything is brand new. All new front end parts, ball jts,lowers, uppers,new steering box, new shaft, new quickner, new tandem pump. That is why everything is so confusing and all I can think of now is like Mr. Adams said and its the wrong valve to use with the quickner. I went and got the numbers off the box and will call Monday to see what Sweet says. From the numbers on the box, all I know is its a 12-1 box. lol
Thanks Dave, you helping someone this season?

cullen17racing
02-13-2011, 03:41 PM
another thing to check is the mounting of the quickner. i too had a similar problem and it ended up being the quickner, and how it was mounted put it in some sort of a bind. i was able to tweak the mounting bracket and fixed the problem. i would run the car and loosen the quickner bolts to see if it is that simple! i was surprised myself. and please note i changed the krc valve first thinking the same as others here! hope this helps

washeduptoo
02-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Will check that tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion.

washeduptoo
02-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Got the numbers off the box and called sweet and they said that box has the wrong valve for use with the steering quickner. Working now with where it was purchased to get the problem corrected. Thanks everyone for the help.

washeduptoo
04-25-2011, 09:19 AM
We haven't got the box back yet. Had to go through whom we bought it from and then he had to go through whom he bought it from and then to sweet.
If the valving isn't .185, then it won't work with a quickner is what they told me. If the valving is wrong, I just hope you got it from sweet and not 3rd party.

1cln_sdime
04-25-2011, 04:32 PM
I have seen this a couple times with sweet boxes