PDA

View Full Version : Running PS pump on dry sump pump???

glnrcg
02-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Are there any advantages or dis advantages to running the PS pump on the oil pump instead of the front of the motor.

shockman
02-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Keeping it simple here....weight off of the nose of the car, and closer to the center of the chassis, and no belt on the front of the engine to get thrown off. Just two simple answers.....JMO............Shockman

sj valley dave
02-22-2011, 03:25 PM
We tell our driver if he ever loses power steering to kill the engine immediately as he has probably lost the dry sump belt...

big88fan
02-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Good answer simple no belt, the pump its self is cheaper than the front mount kit, and of course its a good way to know if you do loose the oil pump belt

mab18
02-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Not really a good idea. If you think about it when your personal vehicle hits a curb or something the power steering belt slips due to the back pressure imagine what that does when its on the oil pump with a gilmer or htd belt that won't slip. Just a thought. Also by the time you realize that your power steering is gone your engine is pretty much toast. Well at least the bearings are lol.

talclipse
02-28-2011, 05:59 PM
I had some oil pump belt issues last season and I am 100% confident that having the P.S. pump on the back of the oil pump saved my motor. When my engine builder tore it down this winter they were amazed at the condition of the bearings (even though I had already checked the bearings before running the motor again.

Just my $0.04

big88fan
02-28-2011, 07:46 PM
can't agree with either of those for 1 the belt on a krc pro drive or kse tandem pump isnt going to slip either up front and I have lost oil belts twice and didn't hurt the motor either time between the dummy light and no ps add a great oil and I have been saved twice by all three
and thats my .04 cents