PDA

View Full Version : Shock velocity

RCJ
02-10-2011, 08:59 PM
With all the shock experts here I have a few questions.What velocity is the most important for tuning corner entry?Would linear or digressive be better for tuning entry?Is there a ''rule of thumb'' that on a rough track there should be a certain split between compresion and rebound?

F22 RAPTOR
02-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Start with a good baseline recommended by your chassis builder and then develope a baseline that suits you and your needs. Once you have a personal baseline you can adjust from that for different track conditions. There are several good seminars that can teach you how and when to make shock tuning adjustments. These are general terms and of course each situation presents its own challenges and solutions. I believe a racers best investment is knowledge and to try and keep your approach as simple as possible. Good luck.

JR. MECHANIC
02-10-2011, 11:34 PM
While I don't have the answer to your question; keep in mind that the shock has to pass through the low speeds to reach the high speeds.

walt stanley
02-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Boy there is alot of answers for your 3 questions! Concerning the velocity, remember that the front shocks only receive about 2/3 the speed of the rear shocks, (motion ratio) also under braking and corner entry the front of the car receives appx 2/3 the weight of the car. With that being said the front shocks would become your best tuning tool. What I have found is the driver will feel changes at lower shaft speeds (up to 3" per second). Linear or Digressive? Wow, with the way we run these car today with the attitude of the body, the rear steer, and the track conditions we definitley need a linear compression and digressive rebound on LF,RF and RR. The LR needs just the opposite. Rule of thumb for split? Probably too many variables to answer, corner weights, tire construction, amount of banking,etc. But always more rebound. Remember that most easy-up shocks are at best 50/50. Yes I am long winded. John great too hear from ya, you also Kirk!

F22 RAPTOR
02-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Kirk??? My name is Chip, I worked with Farr at Carrera.

walt stanley
02-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Not really speaking of you, just knowing the Captain would probably read this.LOL Hope too meet you soon CHIP

ENVY Suspension
02-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks Walter! And of course I read this. You all have interesting points here. We all have our own ways of getting somewhere and we all will not try and tune the same way. Thats why some guys run up front, some run mid-pack and so on. But, you all have a good time thinking that im going to chime in here really with anything. I enjoy seeing what you guys have to say as well. On the positive side, I really enjoy helping people that want and appreciate help! Thats what I like to do. Also, I do stand my ground for myself and the company because its like my kids, I wouldnt let you talk bad of them and just roll over, nor would any of you guys. Yeah, sometimes people may view it as bad business, me personally, I view it as I believe in what we do and how we approach it. I was always aggressive as a racer, and I hope that I never loose that drive. That drive is what fuels ALL WINNERS! Im just trying to do the best I can for each and every customer we have. Thanks guys!

Kirk Loudy
ENVY Suspension
www.envysuspension.com

walt stanley
02-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Kirk: The reason I tried to answer the original the way I did, was to let people know there is not a perfect scenerio for everyone or situation. As you know there probably a hundred guys out there that can assemble a shock. However there is only very few with the practical experience to actually help a customer get better and faster. Heck both of us remember walking threw the pits at the world 100 and half the cars there were on some type of shock deal, it is not that way anymore! You should not give away the experience and time that you have gained! If they ask the right questions you can give the correct answer. Best of Luck this yr.

ENVY Suspension
02-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Hey Walter, THANKS BUD! That means a lot coming from you buddy!
As for the other comments, I try and be extremely honest and sometimes that gets you in trouble and people see it in different ways as you know from all the time you've spent in this business. And yes, Ive workes my tail off for quite some time, 22 years now, in thus business and I think we can help a lot of people. As you said, we can't always give people everything if they arent spending any money with you. Heck, if we were gonna do that, id just put all of what I know, which may not be much in some peoples opinion, on the website and say HERE YA GO BUYS, THANKS. Sorry, I gotta eat too!
Thanks again Walt!!! Enjoy yourself man!

Kirk Loudy
ENVY Suspension

Canadian
02-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Is that THE Walt Stanley?
Were are you working Walt?
I called you a few weeks ago, and you havn't got back to me?
It's your Canadian buddy.lol
PM me when you get a chance.

And if it is the Walt Stanley, take every word this man says to heart as
he is one of the best Shock men in the business, and has helped us to a few Championships over the years.

lm98
02-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Who puts on shock seminars? I think that I saw one advertised at Rocket, but I can't remember for sure. i would love to go to one.

CHUMBA
02-14-2011, 05:51 PM
What makes a shock linear? and what makes a shock digressive? or what does linear and degessive?

RCJ
02-17-2011, 08:48 PM
A linear shock can be 50lbs at 3'' of shaft velocity ,100 at 6'' 150 at 9'' and keep going at the same rate.A digressive will get to a certain rate and stay there no matter what the shaft velocity is.After thinking for a week on one sentence walt said i think a linear would flex or work the carcass of the tire harder on a rough track more than a digressive.If your on a hard tire or open tire rule could have an effect on which you would choose.

walt stanley
02-18-2011, 04:53 AM
RCJ: Great reply! First off I like those dampening rates you used as example for compression on the front! Always remember that the tire construction, air pressures, wheel width, etc. create many different spring rates that shocks must attempt to DAMPEN. Also the motion ratio of an independent suspension will slow the shaft velocity. We will have spikes in velocity, but I think that our job is to keep the contact patch of the tire on the track. I believe that we can use the rebound to best keep the suspension driveable under adverse conditions. Again JMO. We have a great can of worms here! But there is not a perfect scenario for all applications!

F22 RAPTOR
02-18-2011, 08:15 AM
RCJ: Great reply! First off I like those dampening rates you used as example for compression on the front! Always remember that the tire construction, air pressures, wheel width, etc. create many different spring rates that shocks must attempt to DAMPEN. Also the motion ratio of an independent suspension will slow the shaft velocity. We will have spikes in velocity, but I think that our job is to keep the contact patch of the tire on the track. I believe that we can use the rebound to best keep the suspension driveable under adverse conditions. Again JMO. We have a great can of worms here! But there is not a perfect scenario for all applications!

Amen to that.

RCJ
02-18-2011, 05:30 PM
what do you guys think of this shock dyno www.shocksetup.com ?

F22 RAPTOR
02-20-2011, 09:25 AM
what do you guys think of this shock dyno www.shocksetup.com ?

Me personally, I don't care for that one. I know good dyno's are expensive, but going cheap might just be a waste of your money.