PDA

View Full Version : Engine Refresh

jden89
02-12-2011, 05:29 AM
Ok I'm buying a monte carlo with a 358 has 30 nights is it worth 1400 to have it refreshed at a machine shop or should I just break it down do rings bearings new cam lifters and timing set and call it good. I have to have a new cam either way, the one in it wont pull enough vacumn. Also does anyone have some suggestions on a cam that can pull 18" at 1000rpm any help apreciated thanks.

soonersublime
02-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Ok I'm buying a monte carlo with a 358 has 30 nights is it worth 1400 to have it refreshed at a machine shop or should I just break it down do rings bearings new cam lifters and timing set and call it good. I have to have a new cam either way, the one in it wont pull enough vacumn. Also does anyone have some suggestions on a cam that can pull 18" at 1000rpm any help apreciated thanks.

If you're going to do all that anyways might as well and have it looked over completely.

hpontap
02-12-2011, 07:49 PM
The shop ( if its a good one ) will be checking everything in the engine. I would expect them to clean the block and replace freeze plugs and cam bearings, check all bores for wear and roundness,check the deck for straightness, check the wear on the crank, wristpins and pistons. Rebuild the rods with new bolts, then hone and assemble the engine to specs. Quite a bit for $1,400.
It comes down to how good at engine building you are and how much wear is there ( if you find anything, the trips back and forth to the machine shop). How many of the things listed above can you check with your tools? Good luck whatever way you go.

soonersublime
02-12-2011, 08:16 PM
The shop ( if its a good one ) will be checking everything in the engine. I would expect them to clean the block and replace freeze plugs and cam bearings, check all bores for wear and roundness,check the deck for straightness, check the wear on the crank, wristpins and pistons. Rebuild the rods with new bolts, then hone and assemble the engine to specs. Quite a bit for $1,400.
It comes down to how good at engine building you are and how much wear is there ( if you find anything, the trips back and forth to the machine shop). How many of the things listed above can you check with your tools? Good luck whatever way you go.

$1400 is very reasonable for everything but replacing parts. I have paid $1600 before to do all of the above plus balancing and dyno w/ a high quality machine shop.

jden89
02-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks for all the input im still not sure witch way to go but I think ill end up doing myself. I hate to do it myself and overlook something that a machine shop would notice but im gonna be pushing having my suit and helmet and few other odds and ends by season if I spend the 1400 on the refresh.