PDA

View Full Version : 383 help

strykr
02-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Do you have to clearance the block on a 383 stroker engine or do they make a certain crank to get the needed clearance?

stock car driver
02-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Do you have to clearance the block on a 383 stroker engine or do they make a certain crank to get the needed clearance?

U clearance the block to clear the rods. Not the crank.

Scat has a stroker clearanced i beam rod that makes it so you dont have to clearance much at all. The bolts are shorter and further up the beam also.

They are about 300 a set and well worth it.

Whoever you have bore and hone the block should be able to clearance it for you.

dynoman14
03-02-2011, 01:26 AM
You will also need to check the piston skirt clearance with the rods you are using as they can hit the counterweights. Buy the crank set up for 5.7 rods as they are usually a couple pounds lighter as the CWT's are profiled and that way almost any piston rod combintation will work.

You will also have to check and make sure that your rods don't hit your camshaft as that is pretty common if you have a decent lift cam. That is pretty much why many cam companies offer small base circle cams.

I have done plenty of the smaller strokers and I am now working on a pretty big on for 350 block.
I am building a 416" SBC ( 4"Stroke / 4.060" bore ) with Ford 5.4 rods in it and that will be some more of a clearancing job. If it goes pretty easy I will use a 4.125 stroke and make 430". This will probably require an .800"-900" skinny base circle cam cause it will be an .850 lift cam for SB-2 heads. Looking to make it about 8.5CR to run on pump gas and hit 500ft/# and 650hp. These heads make awesome power at 15* timing so we'll see. I will post some dyno numbers as soon as I finish. Might be a month, might be 3 months. Got way too much customer work to do so I don't get to work on my own stuff.
I am looking for a 1984-1987 Monte SS to put it in if you know where a decent one is.