PDA

View Full Version : Question on Crate engine flywheel and coupler

Dirt_Racer16
02-13-2011, 02:34 AM
Hi guys, im new to the crate racing scene...my question is if you run a racing tranny such as a bert or brinn, how do you know what flywheel and coupler to use? or is the flywheel coupler all one unit? also i read on brinns home website that the flywheel/ couple is an ext. balanced piece, wouldn't this counter act the internal balance of the motor? Sorry if these questions are dumb, just trying to get on the right track! thanks! :cool:

Egoracing
02-13-2011, 07:07 AM
One piece rear main seal Chevy engines are externally balanced and have been since they came out. The old style cranks that used 2 piece rear main seals were internally balanced. The new cranks rear flange is round and easily identifiable.
If you use the Bert or Brinn bell housing and reverse mount starter the flywheel and coupler are a one piece unit. If you use a standard style bell housing then you would used a 95 and up externally balanced flexplate and the correct coupler for the one piece rear seal cranks.
Also the new one piece rear seal cranks are a different balance then the old 400 external balanced cranks so the old parts will not work.

Dirt_Racer16
02-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks, i appreciate the information, i did not know that the later style engines were one piece externally balanced engines...im used to the older stuff! thanks!