PDA

View Full Version : How to make NASCAR less boring

t.nie
02-16-2011, 07:27 PM
I say first and foremost, ban crew chiefs. Make the driver dictate all the adjustments to the car from the radio to the crew. I think that would seperate the real geniuses out there driving who actually understand the car from the airheads who are racing on daddy's (or someone else's) dollar.

I know if they held just one 500 miler where the person in charge of all the changes from the start of qualifying to the checkered flag dropping was the driver, we would really see some interesting racing. And we would know who our there really understands how the car works and who doesn't.

I think a lot of what made guys like Richard Petty, Dave Pearson, Mario Andretti etc special was the fact that they actually wrenched on their rides and knew how their cars were put together. Bring that kind of mentality back, instead of the Kyle Busch "spoiled brat with attitude" mentality and it would make things a lot more interesting again.

slick01
02-16-2011, 09:37 PM
I say first and foremost, ban crew chiefs. Make the driver dictate all the adjustments to the car from the radio to the crew. I think that would seperate the real geniuses out there driving who actually understand the car from the airheads who are racing on daddy's (or someone else's) dollar.

I know if they held just one 500 miler where the person in charge of all the changes from the start of qualifying to the checkered flag dropping was the driver, we would really see some interesting racing. And we would know who our there really understands how the car works and who doesn't.

I think a lot of what made guys like Richard Petty, Dave Pearson, Mario Andretti etc special was the fact that they actually wrenched on their rides and knew how their cars were put together. Bring that kind of mentality back, instead of the Kyle Busch "spoiled brat with attitude" mentality and it would make things a lot more interesting again.

I will give David some credit. Otherwise these are terrible examples. The problem in todays racing isn't crew chiefs; it is engineers, technology, car owners, and a stupid sanctioning body. If you want a good example of a driver as you suggest....Bobby Allison.

cooler racer
02-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Take away the retrictor plates but only give them half the tire they got now. Plenty of power to pass but they will have to use the brakes and actually drive the cars instead of cruising around until the last 100 laps. It will slow down the speeds and create alot more passing opportunities.

Winston_Wolfe
02-17-2011, 09:54 AM
You and I don't often agree on politics and such, but I've got to go along with you on this one. Very good idea.

I believe awarding a lot more points for actually winning the race would cause more of them to race to win rather than the boring "points racing" we often see. If Tony Stewart, for example, could gain 100 points on Jimmie Johnson for winning instead of riding around in second or third, he would get up on the wheel more I think. He might even be tempted to move a Bush brat out of the way in the process ;)

kidrock
02-17-2011, 10:01 PM
I think the best thing they could do is run a format like they do at your local track. Heat races with a last chance race and then the feature. That way they can do away with the top 35 in points and everyone gets a chance to race their way in. No more riding around for 400 laps to run the last 100 for the win.

j-me88
02-17-2011, 11:59 PM
The first step to make NA$CAR less boring would be to get rid of the IROC cars and let the manufacturers have an identity instead of lookalike cars that you can't tell a Ford from a volkswagen ..... The second step would be to move NA$CAR headquarters and not tell Brian France where they moved to !!!! Since he took over NA$CAR has been going down hill at a steady pace !!!!!!

Highside Hustler25
02-18-2011, 05:30 AM
Maybe go back to the days of a driver having a 2 lap lead over the 2nd place car so he can come into the pits for a cigarette and beverage without giving up the lead. Those were the good ole days.:rolleyes:

nbmiller
02-18-2011, 04:05 PM
How about get some drivers with some personality. Clint Bowyer, Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch( love him or hate him) seem to be the only interesting drivers in the series.

HEAVY DUTY
02-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Get rid of pit stops,races should be won on the track, not by the pit crew.Races also shouldnt last longer than a tank of fuel, that way they would have to race every lap instead of cruisin till 10 to go.Go back to Rockingham, North Wilksboro, and dirt, get rid of the big 1 1/2 and longer tracks.Then maybe I wouldnt fall asleep every time I try to watch a race without fast forwarding thru it.

wallcrusher
02-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Manufacturer's bodies and 200 miles to race.....That would cut tire and fuel cost for starters and possibly put the identity of the car you drive on the street, back in the public eye.........It also would give them a couple of stops for set-up and,......NO MORE RIDING AROUND THE FREAKIN' PARKING LOT for 4hrs, TRYING TO LOOK COOL!

I would bet Bubba's left yo-yo, the national audience would set the T.V. world on fire.....The Advertisers of the races would have to compete against each other for air-time and, that means more revenue for all included in the sport. The local community that makes revenue from the race would lose nothing, because you ain't spending $$$ with them while at the race. Yeah, the hot dog guy may lose out but, He's getting jobbed by the promoter anyway.

Build it and, They will come!

t.nie
02-19-2011, 09:01 AM
I like the idea of not having one long race but two or three seperate shorter ones and making it so that they have to run harder. I agree, the longer races seem to be 90% riding around to see what might break on someone else's car to put them out, then 20-30 laps of racing at the end. So why not get rid of the majority of the riding around and just have some racing.

TackyTracker
02-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Stop racing all together... We know that won't happen... Other than the Daytona 500 I'd really consider lowering the laps.. The races are just too long IMO...

CIRF
02-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Richard Petty worked on racecars right along with Dale, Maurice and the rest of the crew. Richard was the crew chief on his Father Lee's car before he started driving. According to Kyle he would be considered a fabricator in todays raceshop. He knew his share and a little more about how a racecar works and lessened his involvement with the building and maintaining of the cars as sponsor obligations became more time consuming. As far as David Pearson is concerned I'm sure he knew what was needed to make a stock car fast but Mario is another story, I doubt he spent much time workin' on the cars he drove.

As far as drivers with personality, don't mistake acting a fool with having personality. Clint Boyer seems to be a great guy with plenty of personality but Busch and Harvick are merely buttloads that just happen to make a lot of money and know how to drive a NASCAR racecar.

Ben_Diesel
02-19-2011, 06:36 PM
With the new Camaros, Mustangs,and Challengers, how about making every team start with an actual production car instead of the crap they're running now? And quit changing the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) points system every year to suit Hendricks and Jimmy.

keeks
02-19-2011, 11:21 PM
I'd like to get rid of all the radios. Make the driver drive. I wonder what kind of different decisions would be made without all this 2 way communication.

k

carcrazy7
02-20-2011, 12:16 PM
take it off tv and put lucas oil dirt late models on !

carcrazy7
02-20-2011, 12:17 PM
With the new Camaros, Mustangs,and Challengers, how about making every team start with an actual production car instead of the crap they're running now? And quit changing the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) points system every year to suit Hendricks and Jimmy.

you got the right idea, problem is , that would take real drivers and you'd eliminate half the field ! LOL

Dirt Frog
02-21-2011, 07:41 AM
take it off tv and put lucas oil dirt late models on !

Best ideal yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F22 RAPTOR
02-21-2011, 12:23 PM

Not sure what Rowdy did yesterday that got your panties in a twist, but as to your other question, at least at Super Speedways, I'd say do this:

1) I don't have a problem with Crew Chiefs, but in your vein of thinking I'd say get rid of radios or at least two way communication.
2) Remove restrictor plates.
3) Remove rear spoiler.
4) Reduce tire width to 1967 era width.
5) Production car body lines.
6) No bump stop or coil bind setups.
7) Must Run Factory production blocks and heads.
8) Allow overhead cams and factory fuel injection.
9) No skirting or air dams that weren't factory.
10) Add two dirt events to the schedule.
11) Ditch the chase and quit trying to be a stick and ball sport.
12) Qualify and heat race every week, with nobody guaranteed a starting spot.

Clayton_Wetter
03-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Start actually watching the races instead of using it as an excuse for napping!

What do you want? Dry slick and dust to fly out of the TV screen?

bostinks
03-29-2011, 02:04 AM
give 1 point for every lap lead, then they would have to race from lap 1

Clayton_Wetter
03-29-2011, 06:08 PM

You think they change the point system to favor Hendricks and Jimmy? What are they doing to cause this? Rewarding winning and high finishes?

wallcrusher
03-29-2011, 06:48 PM
How bout an occasional white tail deer darting across the track?
.......works for me on the late night trip home!

LITE-INN
03-29-2011, 09:38 PM
make it mandatory the busch beaters start in the tail

kidrock
03-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Yeah then we can have a bet on how long it will take pee wee to get to the front :D:D

LITE-INN
03-29-2011, 11:04 PM
or how nmany cars he hits going to the front I know I know 43 yep even the pace car

3dracing
03-31-2011, 04:47 PM
convert all race tracks to dirt.

Zippy_1950
03-31-2011, 04:49 PM
convert all race tracks to dirt.

that sounds like a winner!

Gary
03-31-2011, 05:17 PM
I think the best thing they could do is run a format like they do at your local track. Heat races with a last chance race and then the feature. That way they can do away with the top 35 in points and everyone gets a chance to race their way in. No more riding around for 400 laps to run the last 100 for the win.

Nascar would be a lot better with heat races and features just like the local tracks. Run the heat races and then have the feature races be no more than 100 laps. No more boring 300-600 mile races. No qualifying, the only way to get your starting spot for the feature is to get a good finsh in your heat race.

1Blacksheep
03-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Heat races with lower mains and a feature is a great Idea. Probably why allstar night is so popular (The Winston). I 've been watching it for 35 years and still enjoy it just like I did back then though. The in car audio between spotters crew chiefs and driver has made it even more enjoyable for me,need more of it. Sometime they say they are doing one thing and they do just the opposite if you know what you are lookin at. Its also pretty cool when they say what they are doing and they actually do it and you say to yourself thats the adjustment I would have made and it gets faster. NASCAR ROCKS STILL. Try watching the Black marks they leave on the ground when they leave the pits then apply it to why the car is working or not,or why a car is fast at a particular area of the track but slow in others and the splitter just happens to have a different ground clearance than others. You haters were probably just Band Wagon people to start with. What can we do to make Basketball ,Football ,Baseball more exciting. Thats the same BORING CHIT its been since the begining and you people still try to make it sound like its something different from year to year.LMFAO

dirtmaze3
03-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Take the Top's off and let them Run some Dirt Races !

Gary
04-01-2011, 07:11 AM
Heat races with lower mains and a feature is a great Idea. Probably why allstar night is so popular (The Winston). I 've been watching it for 35 years and still enjoy it just like I did back then though. NASCAR ROCKS STILL. You haters were probably just Band Wagon people to start with.

You think NASCAR ROCKS STILL? Either you're a Jimmie Johnson fan or you're watching a different Nascar than the rest of us are. About the only races that I can watch the entire race today are Daytona and Talladega. Most of the other races I’ll usually try to catch the last 10 laps. It’s really boring to watch the follow the leader, single-file races that Nascar has most races. Jimmie Johnson winning the championship the last 5 years has almost ruined Nascar for me (and a lot of other fans too, just look at all of the empty seats and TV ratings). That’s why we’ll be at the local dirt track on Saturday nights from now until October. Nascar has become too corporate and can’t compete with a dirt track when it comes to exciting racing.

I’ve been a Nascar fan for 32 years now. That’s far from being a band wagon fan. Most of us have found this forum because we are race fans. I’d just like too see Nascar get back to where it was when my favorite driver, Dale Earnhardt, and the others of his generation used to battle it out on Sundays.

LITE-INN
04-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Take the Top's off and let them Run some Dirt Races !
esp danica 's car lol

joedoozer
04-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Keep qualifying so they can still choose their pit stalls, and let the top 10 run some kind of dash. Money goes to a local charity. And then invert the starting field. Based on money won in the last 3 races. Big winners get to the back! You can start the go or go-homers behind the guaranteed guys.

It's still a marathon race, but at least we would get to see the fast guys work their way through the field.

1Blacksheep
04-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Nope not a JJ fan, but really impressed by his and Chads ability to make speed when it counts. That is impressive.Yes they have ruined its popularity same as they will help it by raising the Bar on everyone else and everybody tuning in to see him get 3rd. KB 18 and KH 29 are currently clearing the bar.And Yes if you read post 32 carefully I am watching a different NASCAR than you apparently. Still like the heat race and feature Idea with qualifying. Now I would be lieing if I said I didn't nap ocassionally during a Lazy Cold Beer Sunday Enduro race ,track depending. But rewind and pause were invented for that reason. LOL :D:cool:

t.nie
04-03-2011, 01:59 AM
Not a hater at all. Don't care if JJ wins the next 5 years in a row or never wins another one in my lifetime. But the thing that is glaringly obvious is that Bristol is the most exciting and interesting race to watch alongside the Shootout, and since that is the case, why doesn't Napcar take notice and use those events as templates instead of giving us the other 30 weekends of snoozefests?

Wake the freak up, Nascar. Give us something to watch, not something to rewind through to catch the best parts followed by the last 20 laps to see who wins. No one cares about the pit strategy, the fuel strategy, the tire strategy, the "who is going to pair up with who" crap that was Daytona this year. We want to see racing, not a chess match. So get real and give us what we want.

LITE-INN
04-03-2011, 07:05 AM
I guess you took a nap on last weekends race mad bristol or the shootout look like a snooze fest