PDA

View Full Version : Neon racing help

NSmotorsports1
02-20-2011, 10:08 PM
I have a 97 plymouth neon 4 dr sohc 5 speed and race on a 1/2 mile dirt track. I'm looking to buy a racing computer which brands are better than others maybe a little bit cheaper. I'm also up for any other ideas that could help me gain some speed. I would really appreciate it.

Jim

dmills30ny
02-21-2011, 10:08 AM
no one makes a racing computer for a neon, mopar makes a performance ecu which works well, or you could get a ecu from a neon with a dohc manual trans the ecu advances ur timing and fuel and raises the rev limiter just a little and cheap too, or your other option is a safc system like megasquirt along that line.

472 DAD
02-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Howell automotive also has an AF/X race computer. You can find info on all at http://forums.neons.org/ Post your question there. There are plenty of dirt and asphalt racers willing to help. We got plenty of pointers from the forums there while building our car.

NSmotorsports1
02-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Hey thanks to both of you guys. I will definitely check out that website. Mills I might have a neon dohc computer around so I'll try that.

dmills30ny
02-21-2011, 08:04 PM
the unit from howell is not a computer its a stand alone fuel management like i said safc piggyback system, ive raced neons for 4yrs now and love em ur best bet is a mopar performance ecu that is the only tuned computer available, the afx set up or megasquirt are great and will allow more tuning if your track tech allows it, taller tires would help or 15 inch rims from a volkswagon jetta with some spacers would give you more options for tire size, you could change ur final drive gears in trans or even change to a automatic trans, the auto neons are great because on the outside of trans you can change the transfer gears and it changes your gear ratio and these gears came in vans, neons, kcars, omni, just look up transfer gears on neons.org

kneon96
02-25-2011, 06:27 PM
the unit from howell is not a computer its a stand alone fuel management like i said safc piggyback system, ive raced neons for 4yrs now and love em ur best bet is a mopar performance ecu that is the only tuned computer available, the afx set up or megasquirt are great and will allow more tuning if your track tech allows it

The AFX and AFX/Race are not stand alone systems and do not require an safc of any kind. The afx computers are stock computers re-flashed and re-badged, they replace the stock computer. The afx/race IS the best aftermarket option for a performance computer without going to a standalone or piggyback system.

http://howellautomotive.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2545
You can find these used for a better price on neons.org

doitinthedirt2
02-25-2011, 08:16 PM
i have light weight clutches for neons for $425.00 only weigh 9 1/2 pounds 217 502 4038