PDA

View Full Version : PBM Block Question?

mod 88
02-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Ordering a shortblock and am planning on going with the Dart SHP. The motor builder mentioned a PBM block, same price and similiar to a Little M according to what he has heard. Just wanting input from anyone with knowledge on these blocks. It is going into an IMCA modified.

joeltjen
02-22-2011, 09:29 PM
no personal experience with them but from what i've read on other forums they're not that good, poor quality control..( can you say "made in china" ??)

stock car driver
02-22-2011, 10:14 PM
no personal experience with them but from what i've read on other forums they're not that good, poor quality control..( can you say "made in china" ??)

Metal is soft in those is what Ive read.

Shp is the budget block.

hpontap
02-23-2011, 05:38 AM
If both are the same price to begin with, the SHP will also require less finish work to get it to specs than the PBM will. So that makes the SHP the best value.

joedoozer
02-23-2011, 07:34 AM
I bought an assembled short block from a machine shop over the winter. Recycling old blocks, doing all the machine work (line hone, bore and hone with torque plates), all the stuff that should be done, no corner cutting. When I seen it was a PBM block I was a little concerned so I did some research. My motor isn't a monster by any means. 9.5 to 1 and mid 400's hp (estimated of course). My block has none of the "signs" that they talk about on that thread. The oil pump bolt hole that looks like a plug was inserted and tapped; the oil galleys not cast straight; etching over serial numbers. Nothing like that at all. It looks like a good casting. Where it was cast unfortunately is not the good news. But at 450 hp and staying at 6000 rpm I am ok with it....not happy but ok. It was an assembled short block so if the casting does fail, it obviously isn't caused from me bolting heads and an intake on it. So getting it warrantied will not be a problem.

Here is a thread on a very reputable forum. It is quite lengthy, but has all of your answers. A representative from PBM was on there, and then dodged all the questions. Even has a few pictures of PBM etching their logo over the serial number of another manufacturer.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18389

Amazing a company would try and pull something like this, in this day and age. With the internet....it's impossible to get away with anything.

CNC BLOCKS
02-23-2011, 03:57 PM
I did alot of research on those Procomp blocks although I have never seen a PBM block they are very siminlar, We brinell tested a Little-M block it a 200 we tested a Dart SHP block it was 190 and then we brinell tested the Procomp block it was 107 very soft. I am sure the rings will wear faster in the soft block over a good block.

Boy PBM did dodge alot of questions but finally fest up!!!

Here are some links
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17747&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Here is one on the final probing and material make up of the chinese blocks.
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18095&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

RACR_73s
02-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Just curious...what does a stock block test? Are there differences in the 509/511/817 400 blocks? ~Thanks~

ptodd
02-23-2011, 10:10 PM
do not waste you money on the pbm block. get the dart. they are offering it now with 904 lifters so thats a plus. and im sure cnc will agree with me on this u have to watch buying dart blocks off the internet if the price is way cheap that its a blem these people buy these things for nearly nothing and sell them if you wanna know if its a blem check the serial number with dart they dont register blem serial numbers.

CNC BLOCKS
02-24-2011, 02:54 AM
Just curious...what does a stock block test? Are there differences in the 509/511/817 400 blocks? ~Thanks~

If its a good high nickel block it should be right at 190

racer15
02-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Are PBM aluminum blocks any good?

CNC BLOCKS
02-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Are PBM aluminum blocks any good?

I beleive those are World blocks and do a search on aluminum world block and you should find your answer.

In case you didn't know World does not machine their own blocks the are machined at royal oak in michigan.

50j
02-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Spend it now or spend it later. For the cost difference I'd go with the Dart block.