PDA

View Full Version : 4-7 swap cam and headers help

lyons17r
02-23-2011, 12:03 AM
I was told yesterday if I don't use 4-7 swap headers with the 4-7 swap cam I will loose a lot of tq I was wantin to kno how true that is I seen that they do have special headers for that but about how much tq/hp will I loose I have a stock 400 sbc with sportsman ll heads and the swap cam idk the lift but it's not a huge lift and I have a holly 750 4 barrel dual feed non double pumper on factory ignition

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-23-2011, 07:47 AM
The cheapest fix for you is to throw away that silly cam and buy a new one.

kevin28
02-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Alot of racers like the 4 7 swap as it produces a little power and a smoother torgue curve in most cases.
The only headers I know of them being a problem with is the tri-y,and I believe shoenfeld has one just for this issue,but if your running regular headers I don't think it matters..I called shoenfeld myself about a few questions I had and they were very helpful.

hope this helps

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Alot of racers like the 4 7 swap as it produces a little power and a smoother torgue curve in most cases.
The only headers I know of them being a problem with is the tri-y,and I believe shoenfeld has one just for this issue,but if your running regular headers I don't think it matters..I called shoenfeld myself about a few questions I had and they were very helpful.

hope this helps

That depends entirely on who you ask. Some people see no gains. It does even the stresses out on the crank a bit. This isn't a high-power engine. I'd keep it the same as I grew up and memorized to avoid making a mistake. A cam is cheaper than an expensive set of tri-y headers.

lyons17r
02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Well what cam should I use for the price... With the motor I have what would I get the most hp tq gains I'm running on a 3/8 high banked clay (Portsmouth raceway)

lyons17r
02-23-2011, 12:58 PM
And with the least amount of stress on my crank cuz I'm runnin a stock bottom end

kevin28
02-24-2011, 08:27 AM
your correct,it is a matter of opinion..Keith craft told me on a limited engine he usually seen about a 10 horse gain on the 4 7 cam swap,with it being a smoother torque curve and yes it's a little easier t the crank I guess,he also said he wouldn't waste the money on tri-y's as he's never seen much gain from them..I can say I feel I wasted money on my tri-y's.bought some last year,couldn't tell a thing,other than they do sound good..The cam swap for sure isn't going to hurt anything,especially if you've gotta buy some headers anyway,i don't think there is a wrong answer,just tring to help from a diff point of veiw..I've talked to some people that say they didn't like the cam swap as it made the car lazy of the corner,some do like it,in my area the tracks are really dry in the summer ,so seemed like a good fit for me.just my opinion,hope it helps

29racin
03-05-2011, 09:26 PM
have set of 4-7 shoefld headers for sale. came out of shaw late model. $600.00 plus shipping( used 3/4 season )
701-371-3638