PDA

View Full Version : Birdcage Help

usafracer
02-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Hey all I have an older 3 link chassis that belongs to a buddy of mine. He is really stubborn on changing the setup at all.

I am going through the rear of the car for him and found a bent left rear birdcage. I am having trouble finding a replacemnt. He does not want to go to a newer style. He wants to keep it the same.

The on that is on it is an AFCO that has the caliper mount cast into the birdcage its self. I have pictures available if needed. I am looking for the same cage or one that is setup the same way.

Thanks in advance.

HEAVY DUTY
02-23-2011, 06:34 PM
You shouldnt have birdcages on a 3 link car unless they are welded or bolted to the axle tube.If it is mounted solid to the axle tube a seperate trailing arm mount and brake bracket is what you need.Check out Southwest Speed, they have a lot of different types of trailing arm brackets.Putting a floated birdcage on a 3 link car wont hold the rearend in place.

runyou-2
02-23-2011, 06:59 PM
He's right! It would spin in circles unless welded and in that case you wouldn't need a birdcage.Do you mean it is a Z-link?

usafracer
02-23-2011, 09:38 PM
The left side is floated and the right is welded solid. The left has two bars that run forward and the right has just a lower bar. I have never seen anything like it and he does not want to change it.

If it helps the springs are mounted on top of the axle.

HEAVY DUTY
02-23-2011, 10:06 PM
The left sounds like a 4 bar and the right is a 2 link, I would leave the right alone but would move the left to a spring behind, shock on the front of the birdcage or clamp the spring in front and the shock behind on the axle tube.Southwest speed has birdcages with the brake bracket on them I think.The 4 bar left and 2 link right is pretty common in the mo and ar area.( allen and hoffman cars)

usafracer
02-23-2011, 10:29 PM
I have been trying to get him to do just that for years now but not having any luck. We wants to keep it the way it it. He won the track championship about 5 years ago and refuse to change.

I am just trying to find a replacement bird cage. Does BSB or anyone offer one that has the caliper mount locked to the cage?

coleman63
02-23-2011, 10:37 PM
http://sardesonracing.com/page%20052.htm They have a birdcage with the caliper mount attached to the birdcage, I remember seeing one in Speedway Motors as well and also http://www.jetracinginc.com/ has them.

usafracer
02-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks that first one is exactly what I am looking for.