PDA

View Full Version : Body bolts and nuts (what are people using?)

BleedingOrange
02-24-2011, 03:54 PM
I've notice a lot of people using bolts for the side panels on their race car bodies, not just for the lower brace but also along the top edge where it meets the deck. Is anyone using the clip style nut on the edge of the decking and just putting a bolt through that nut?

Here's what I'm referring to: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Nuts+-+%22U%22+Nuts/N2128/C1965.oap

This may sound pidely but I just curious what tricks people use to make this an easy process for installing and removing and reinstalling the side panels as needed rather than using rivets, rivet gun, and a drill every time.

Thanks!

PIERCE3J
02-24-2011, 04:08 PM
I use the 1/4-20 U-nuts with a 1/4-20 body bolt that has a washer fastened right to it and a short lead-in on the end of the bolt. I use them on the sides, spoiler, etc. I can dissasemble my car with a cordless drill in minutes. Nice for washing, repairing, and working on the car without the body getting in the way.

BleedingOrange
02-24-2011, 04:16 PM
I use the 1/4-20 U-nuts with a 1/4-20 body bolt that has a washer fastened right to it and a short lead-in on the end of the bolt. I use them on the sides, spoiler, etc. I can dissasemble my car with a cordless drill in minutes. Nice for washing, repairing, and working on the car without the body getting in the way.

That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. Do you usually get the nuts and bolts at a regular automotive parts store? We have O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, NAPA, and Advance around here.

usafracer
02-24-2011, 08:15 PM
I use zues fittings.

JAMESGANGRACING
02-24-2011, 08:54 PM
automotive paint supply stores have the best selection

powerslide
02-25-2011, 10:41 AM
I use zues fittings.

yuck yuck yuck

PIERCE3J
02-25-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm sure you can get them in a lot of different places. I order the U-nuts from McMaster Carr and I get the bolts that come with a 1/4-20 flange nut on it from a special nut and bolt store near where I live.

chapa9
02-25-2011, 05:29 PM
how would ya make that work..just drill hole threw door and decking and slide that on the decking and bolt threw door to that? same type deal on bottom mount with the angle aluminum just drill and put that clip on the angle and bolt threw door?

414banger
02-25-2011, 08:41 PM
i like the zuess fasteners we had a late model that the whole body could be off in a couple minutes we never had a problem with them coming out or anything like that

charcoal01
02-25-2011, 08:43 PM
pretty much, if you wanna get fancy with it, i put the clip on first, drill a hole through the center, then pull the clip off and drill a hole through the outer panel to make sure everything lines up right. sure there are other ways. i just think it would be a pain in the @ss if you drilled through the outer panel first and didnt get the clip lined up right to where you had to put it half way on or drilled the hole too high and the clip wouldnt reach.

JTSjet
02-25-2011, 10:09 PM
For the money i would use a rivet nut, but only if you are using something high-speed to remove the bolt from it. I've been partial to zeuss buttons lately for door panels but to each his own. As far as bolts i would use the fastenall equivalent of : 0162783 SEMS 1/4-20 x 7/8" dog leg body bolt w/integrated washer. If you pay more than $10 for 50ea you are paying too much..look around

PIERCE3J
02-26-2011, 10:32 AM
I make the Pierce style body so my sides are flat and the edge of the deck bends over at a 90 where the sides would attach to it. I just drill 3/16" rivet holes and fasten the sides on with clecos. Then I take the sides back off and use a step drill bit and open the body side panel holes up to 1/4" and the deck edge holes where the U-nuts would go, I open up to I think 11/32" so that the U-nut slides on and locks itself on to the hole. Where you might have several body panels sandwiched together, like where the door and rear quarter overlap, I have to use a longer 1/4-20 regular bolt. Everywhere else I just use those body bolts. I also use a 7/16 magnetic nut driver attachment for a cordless drill. Holds the bolts in the drill and keeps them from falling on the floor. Also, you can use a longer space between bolts than with rivets. I usually space them out around 12" to 14" or whatever works to keep the spacing equal for a certain length of bolts.