PDA

View Full Version : Cam blanks on back order

JBV-HEADS
02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Seems like every year it's the same thing. Roller cam blanks have just come in again but the flat cams are still on back order. Just to let you guys know that are ordering custom cams. The stock stuff is hit or miss depending on if it was ground 2-3 years ago. Get them quick from whoever you buy them from. That includes the major manufacturers as they all buy their blanks from the same company. There is only one company that does the Ford 2.3 blanks for everyone. Has anyone heard about padded followers? WH-1 had said they weren't going to make them anymore. They were the only company to make them and they would be reboxed as Crane, Crower, Speedway or whomever.

Joe

steveshawjr
02-25-2011, 02:08 PM
joe i got my cam out of Detriot MI ordered thur my engine machinest i dont know the name of the place but they dont do much for the 4cyl 4 of the guys are on a team for engine hp comps

they may have a ton of blanks they said they had every thing in stock to cut one its a big named place i just cant think of the name right now

they where kinda skechy at first on cutting our cams just becasue they are the type of guys that dont want guys comming back saying that didnt work but we told em if it dont work well just get anther cut diffrent and they where more than happy to do it after we said that

jatchis
02-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Hey Joe,

Ken over at needhp.com has the padded followers listed on his site.

John

zf864
02-26-2011, 11:48 AM
JBV-HEADS

Cam blanks on back order
Seems like every year it's the same thing. Roller cam blanks have just come in again but the flat cams are still on back order. Just to let you guys know that are ordering custom cams. The stock stuff is hit or miss depending on if it was ground 2-3 years ago. Get them quick from whoever you buy them from. That includes the major manufacturers as they all buy their blanks from the same company. There is only one company that does the Ford 2.3 blanks for everyone. Has anyone heard about padded followers? WH-1 had said they weren't going to make them anymore. They were the only company to make them and they would be reboxed as Crane, Crower, Speedway or whomever.

Joe

You must be working with Delta - they have a hard time keeping blanks. There are actually 2 companies making the blanks. CWC is the most common and difficult to work with. My understanding is they are going to run them middle of March. We are at the point where we buy 40 blanks and have the grinder keep the on shelf so we don't keep running into this problem.

We just got 15 cams in Friday and still have 5 on back order so yes blanks are an issue. When I talked to Jerry he said they had blanks, but we don't do much with them.

On the padded rockers they are made by WH Industries in N.J, and have a 10k minimum. There was a rumor about 1 a year or so ago (around when Crane went out of business) they were going to stop making them. I told that by one of the guys at R.W. I am yet to see and shortage of them however. Just sent 5 sets to one of the companies you mentioned above and have another 15 sets due here next week.

If you get in a bind on the rockers let me know and I will work with you, on the cam blanks we are in the same boat.

JBV-HEADS
02-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I have some stuff with Delta. I like John and Scott but they aren't the greatest with keeping things under wraps. So I have others with the newest stuff. Unfortunately none have the blanks and those that do have only 1-2 and will not sell them without grinding them. I don't blame them as that is how they make their money.

Joe