PDA

View Full Version : 3 link spring location

ace1
02-26-2011, 10:52 PM
I have a 3 link with a swing arm LR, straight bar RR. On LR I have spring on the arm now, shock behind. RR is spring behind, shock front. On the LR what is more common, spring on the arm or on a clamp bracket on axle, or is it driver preference.

dirttrackrocker
02-28-2011, 09:46 AM
I have a 3 link with a swing arm LR, straight bar RR. On LR I have spring on the arm now, shock behind. RR is spring behind, shock front. On the LR what is more common, spring on the arm or on a clamp bracket on axle, or is it driver preference.

Trying to help my buddy with his 3 link and I was told RR spring works best on top of the axle. Thats what we are switching to this year. Right now we have the LR spring on a eliminator in front. I was wondering about putting it on a swing arm.

ask0329
03-01-2011, 11:24 AM
My 3-link is now set up with both springs on top of the axle. I have the LR shock behind the axle and the RR shock in front of the axle.

When I bought the car the previous owner was not running a shock on the LR. I had never heard of such a thing and would not run it like that so I have since added one. They also had a 800lb spring on the LF and a 700lb spring on the RF. Thought that was odd too as I've never seen a set up with the LF spring being heavier than a RF spring.

This will be my first year in an IMCA mod so at this point i'm just trying to get the most stable set up as possible.

dirttrackrocker
03-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Pretty common for RF spring to be less than LF.

ssr1st
03-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Not uncommon at all. LR spring in front even with bottom of tube. RR on top. LR shock behind, RR in front.http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v337/50/53/618180357/n618180357_1767187_3372.jpg

cavemod
03-10-2011, 01:07 AM

both do same thing on lr reason as axle housing wraps on acceleration it rotates into the spring which aid in planting the wheel for forward bite.on the arm its believed that you need a stronger spring which some consider debatable.its mostly driver preference.as far as rr goes why not put both spring and shock on a coilover kit.on my car my lr is on the arm clamped up 3link style with shock on back, on the rr im on a zlink floated and have the spring in back and shock in front or spring on top and shock on rear.all personal preference the truth is most people run 4bar setups or double swingarms floated on z link style