PDA

View Full Version : Converting to nova lowers

JDracing57
03-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I have a metric clip and I want to use the UB machine nova lowers with screw in ball joints. I have searched this whole forum on this subject but I still have a few questions. One posts said that you had to move the jack bolts is that true for tubular control arms? I also read that you use the left control arm on the right and the right on the left or is that just if you’re using stock nova lowers? I haven’t decided if I’m going to use the metric or pinto spindles yet but what screw in ball joints should I use? Another thing I’m wondering is if it widens your front track do you have to run different offset wheels or widen your rear track or just leave it alone. Also if it moves your front wheels forward 1 inch do you need to move your rear forward 1 inch? Thanks in advance for your replies.

PIERCE3J
03-01-2011, 11:45 AM
What kind of chassis is it? What kind of lowers are on it now? I run stock nova lowers on my Pierce car, but it was built to run it that way. I don't know if you switch from stock lowers to nova lowers if the spring pocket stays the same or not. If you bolt the lowers on and hold them up to ride height, the alignment of the jack bolt better run right through the center of the spring pocket, or the jack bolts need moved. Stock nova lowers from a street car need switched around from right to left and left to right because I think it was from '68-'74 novas and '67-'69 camaros were a rear steer set-up. In other words, the center link, tie rods, and steering arms were behind the cross member. When they are switched from side to side and put on a metric stub, the ball joint moves farther foreward than the stock location was. If you can move your front wheels foreward, you might want to move the rear foreward as well, if possible. This all puts more rear percentage in the car for more foreward bite without having to add weight. I would think the U.B. lowers would be marked correctly for the side to be used on, since they're being used for racing.

JDracing57
03-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I run a 2004 Warrior modified with a small metric clip (like a monti carlo) and I have stock monti carlo lowers and s-10 spindles on it now.

smokinjoe00
03-06-2011, 08:13 AM
im curious as well...run a metric clip street stock..stock lowers and impala spindles..we have to run all stock steering components and stock mounted sway bar,stock mounted shocks...what all has to be done to run the nova lowers..just put them or do u have to run a diff size spring..all the steering stuff still work? thanks