PDA

View Full Version : Direct drive powerglide

campbell5racing
03-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Wanting to know if anyone has any luck running a direct drive powerglide on with a 4 bar car. Without breaking tailshaft or case??

PIERCE3J
03-05-2011, 08:21 AM
I used to run powerglides in the late 90's and early 2000's. The cars didn't lift up like they do now. I never cracked one due to normal racing. Actually got a couple seasons out of one. I ran a support brace from the rear of the engine to the trans mount, though. You cannot mount the trans mount to the chassis at the tailshaft mount. You will crack it then. As long as you don't bottom the driveshaft out, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would definitely build a brace, though.

Moldymulldoon
03-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Pierce's Kung-Fu is strong....

I agree with his statement!

stock car driver
03-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Bill Bushore's son runs a mod with a Bushore glide hanging without issues.

HEAVY DUTY
03-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Save your money and buy a good trans (Bert, Brinn or Falcon) them splattermatics will hurt you.I have been got by one and have seen many others.They were made for 6 cyl putt putt cars.I know that drag racers run them (with different cases) but they arent decellerating and jumping ruts and cushions.They used to be better than the 3 speeds with a clutch that we used to have to run, but now we have racing transmissions that are probably the cheapest things we can put in our cars.A powerglide given to you will cost a fortune if you tear the X out of the bottom of the car and break or cut your leg.

chapa9
03-05-2011, 08:50 PM
I did the powerglide with a torque tube cus I had some glides ready..Trust me save your money on get a bert,brinn,falcon..these transmissions are WAY more reliable but you will also pick up some hp.. The difference I could feel was about like in our old stockcars going from a stock heavy torque converter to a glide with a torque tube..

stock car driver
03-05-2011, 09:02 PM
If I could use a bert or brinn I would. But the glide is working in A mods.

swingarmmod
03-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Called Bushore transmissions today and asked about running one of their transmissions with a 4 bar car. I perfectly understand what I need to check and have done in order to do that. What I didn't understand is that when he found out it had 1.82 written on the top of the tranny with a black marker it was unusable in a mod. Wasn't able to get a full explanation as to why. Does anyone know? I thought I heard him to say that it was run in low only? The guy that has the tranny says he ran a 3.50 gear or something like that in a chevy 10 bolt rear. He claims I can run it but would have to figure out the gear ratio since I was running a 9" ford rear. Any help by people with experience with Bushore trannny's woud be appreciated. Was thinking of running this in a sportmod instead of a 4 bar car. Thanks

usafracer
03-11-2011, 01:13 PM
It sounds like it was set up to run in low only. We have a guy that has one just like that and he runs a 3.23 gear on a 1/4 track.

swingarmmod
03-11-2011, 07:33 PM
I called Bushore again today, I must have missed it in the conversation but that was what he said, can only run in low gear. My bad, I will say one thing, they sure don't mind taking the time to talk to a racer. Very impressed with the customer service there and having ran a Bushore in a different type car years ago, I can say they have good products as well.

frontrunner
03-12-2011, 12:34 PM
I run a powerglide and have now for 7 years I just put a mount on the chisis wher the mount is on the tranny.. And it is a 2 speed powerglide & never had any trouble....

frontrunner
03-15-2011, 08:28 PM
600 hp & never toer up a powerglide in my mod....

HEAVY DUTY
03-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Your lucky frontrunner, but your luck may eventually run out.Take it from somebody with alot of power glide experience in modified and latemodels. I was hard headed and thought I could get by with one also, until it ripped the bottom of my car out, bent my seat and bruised my leg(lucky it wasnt worse)
Them things are like sittin on a powder keg.

SCREAMIN1CAR
03-15-2011, 10:07 PM
i had 8 powerglides break parts internally in one season....i will never have a trans that works off fluid pressure in a racecar....ever!

frontrunner
03-16-2011, 08:26 PM
I have never had any problems & hope I never do I just go and find old cases & buy all the racing parts & we put them together rselfs And I run the shut off valve to the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit so I can control it but this will b the 8th year on my powerglide & every 2 years I put new clutches & the bushings in it...But I do run a rubber mount from it to the chasis... But if it ever breaks I have three more on hand......

cavemod
03-16-2011, 09:22 PM
I used to run them but the problem I had was burning them up ran synthetic fluid and got 2 nights on the fluid then it was black.I tried running coolers and it didn't help.had to freshen them after 7 or 8 nights.broke a couple from crashes and u joint failure .last year i got smart and bought a bert and I could feel the difference the first night.i also used the ball valve to the interior.

1Blacksheep
03-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Glides kickas on restarts,thats where they shine mostly. Proper length yoke and the trans mounted right you will be alright. We have had just as much trouble out of a Bert and modern flywheel and starter as we ever did from a Glide. I can hook you up with a feller that can build you one that will live,and have your competitors ticked off on restarts. Ours was always good for 3-6 car lengths when the St Patty flag dropped. Not sure I would want to spin one 8000 all night long tho.I'd need a few drinks first maybe :p Not real intrested in taking my lower legs to the emergency room in the cooler,thats where the Beer belongs. I like my feet and ankles attached below my knees. Probably stay with the Bert. :eek:

frontrunner
03-17-2011, 07:58 PM
I mostly run mine between 7300 to 7500 rpm & now I got to be thinking about my legs now thats goin to b on my mind rrrr.. And do not run synthetic in a powerglide or ur trans will not last... Like I said I run mine 2 years & then change clutches & bushings & I love it on restarts I can slow everybody else way dne on starts & it is quicker on starts........

danny01
08-30-2012, 08:31 PM
If you got the money get a bert, if not use f type trans fluid and change it every 5 races and you should be ok!