PDA

View Full Version : Stagger??

MUDMAN00
03-05-2011, 07:10 PM
If I have a tire that is 88 inches with 5lbs in it and if I change that tire and my new tire has to have 7 lbs of air in it to be 88 inches. Is that going to change my amount of bite ?

Egoracing
03-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Yes, air pressure will change the amount of weight that the tire is carrying. Put it on the scales and play with it and record the numbers as it can be a quick chassis tuning tool. I have seen late models that removing 2# from the LF and RR and adding 2# to the RF and LR can change the LR bite by over 200#.

Dirt2727
03-06-2011, 07:08 AM
probably not enought to be concerned with it.

racin6mod
03-06-2011, 10:11 AM
yes it will change but if your only changing the tire it shouldn't be a big deal. I would go with the same air pressure as before the slight differance in stagger would not hurt on track performance.

Matt49
03-07-2011, 10:27 PM
People are going to either get really loud or really quiet after this post.

How often is your car actually at those ride heights while you are racing?
Point being, dynamic wedge is much more important than static wedge (not that it isn't important). With your bar angles, you're off the LR spring and driving with the bars most of the time anyway so what difference does it make how much weight is on that corner when it is on the ground?
Again, not saying that it doesn't matter but bite/wedge is a bit over-rated in my opinion. Too many ways to change it dynamically to be overly concerned with what it is on the scales. Let the bashing begin :-)

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-08-2011, 07:21 AM
People are going to either get really loud or really quiet after this post.

How often is your car actually at those ride heights while you are racing?
Point being, dynamic wedge is much more important than static wedge (not that it isn't important). With your bar angles, you're off the LR spring and driving with the bars most of the time anyway so what difference does it make how much weight is on that corner when it is on the ground?
Again, not saying that it doesn't matter but bite/wedge is a bit over-rated in my opinion. Too many ways to change it dynamically to be overly concerned with what it is on the scales. Let the bashing begin :-)

I agree to a point, especially with today's suspension. You only need enough lr get the car climbing the bars. You also have to look how the wedge effects entry, but wedge's effect on entry is small compared to spring rates and some other factors.

In leaf spring days, 20# of static lr weight was a big change. Today, usually not so much.